VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: vlliveinstall On A UFD  (Read 3077 times)

gacl

• Vectorite
vlliveinstall On A UFD
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:20:28 am »

Hello,

Last time i tried to install Vector Live ( Beta ) to a UFD ( USB flash drive ) it was sort of buggy. I wonder if this has been fixed. Has anybody tried the installer of the final version on a UFD? By the way, it installs the Live version of Vector, right? I'm asking because i have to buy some hardware soon and i could get a flash drive for Vector. Thanks.

Gus
“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers

gacl

• Vectorite
Re: vlliveinstall On A UFD
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:41:56 pm »

OK, nevermind. I'll try to install Vector Live ( latest version ) to the flash drive where Puppy is installed ( i haven't used it much ). And. . . first issue:

The flash drive doesn't show up as an option in the vlliveinstaller.

Code: [Select]
vl:$ mount
tmpfs on / type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 type ntfs (ro)
/dev/hda3 on /mnt/hda3 type reiserfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devgid=10,devmode=0666)
/dev/sda on /mnt/vl-hot/sda/vol type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/hda4 on /mnt/hda4 type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /mnt/hda5 type reiserfs (rw)

I tried to search for a previous post that i did on this using the beta version of the Live CD but i can't find it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Gus

Update: I found this thread: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3434.0 , which means i'll have to do this manually!? Oh, noooooooooooooo. . .

I kind of remember having a long post about this and finally giving up. Hence the Pup.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 09:50:27 pm by gacl »
“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers

thegeekster

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:01:54 pm »

Hey gacl,

I plan on writing a script and instructions for installing to a pendrive in the near future, to simplify the process..........I have a couple of others things to finish up at the moment, though......... :)

gacl

• Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:04:09 am »

Thanks! I'll wait for that.

gacl

• Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 01:28:04 pm »

Hm, i gave this a try because it looked easy, but. . . no luck. This is what i did:

- I copied the contents of the VL Live CD to the drive,

- I did extlinux -i boot ( extlinux is for ext3 partitions ),

- i moved isolinux.cfg to boot/extlinux.conf,

- i did cat mbr.bin > /dev/sda.

I tried the drive on my Dell each step of the way and the last error i saw was: Can't find vmlinuz. It's not the exact message, as i'm doing this from memory, but vmlinuz is there in the same directory. After that, i did the mbr.bin thing and all i get is a blank screen. . .

Thanks.

Gus
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:29:46 pm by gacl »

gacl

• Vectorite
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 02:43:36 pm »

Yes! I did it.

I had to cheat, though.

First, i installed Puppy to the UFD with the universal installer ( ext3 ). Then, i erased all the Puppy files, copied all the Vector Live files to the drive, renamed isolinux.cfg to extlinux.conf. . . that's it!

A couple of things:

- Remember to use chattr to erase the uneraseable.
- Maybe extlinux should be installed by default?