VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 06:29:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vlliveinstall On A UFD  (Read 2882 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: June 20, 2007, 09:20:28 am »

Hello,

Last time i tried to install Vector Live ( Beta ) to a UFD ( USB flash drive ) it was sort of buggy. I wonder if this has been fixed. Has anybody tried the installer of the final version on a UFD? By the way, it installs the Live version of Vector, right? I'm asking because i have to buy some hardware soon and i could get a flash drive for Vector. Thanks.

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 08:41:56 pm »

OK, nevermind. I'll try to install Vector Live ( latest version ) to the flash drive where Puppy is installed ( i haven't used it much ). And. . . first issue:

The flash drive doesn't show up as an option in the vlliveinstaller.

Code:
vl:$ mount
tmpfs on / type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 type ntfs (ro)
/dev/hda3 on /mnt/hda3 type reiserfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devgid=10,devmode=0666)
/dev/sda on /mnt/vl-hot/sda/vol type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/hda4 on /mnt/hda4 type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /mnt/hda5 type reiserfs (rw)

I tried to search for a previous post that i did on this using the beta version of the Live CD but i can't find it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Gus

Update: I found this thread: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3434.0 , which means i'll have to do this manually!? Oh, noooooooooooooo. . .

I kind of remember having a long post about this and finally giving up. Hence the Pup.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 08:50:27 pm by gacl » Logged

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
thegeekster

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 06:01:54 pm »

Hey gacl,

I plan on writing a script and instructions for installing to a pendrive in the near future, to simplify the process..........I have a couple of others things to finish up at the moment, though......... Smiley
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 09:04:09 am »

Thanks! I'll wait for that.

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 12:28:04 pm »

Hm, i gave this a try because it looked easy, but. . . no luck. This is what i did:

- I copied the contents of the VL Live CD to the drive,

- I did extlinux -i boot ( extlinux is for ext3 partitions ),

- i moved isolinux.cfg to boot/extlinux.conf,

- i did cat mbr.bin > /dev/sda.

I tried the drive on my Dell each step of the way and the last error i saw was: Can't find vmlinuz. It's not the exact message, as i'm doing this from memory, but vmlinuz is there in the same directory. After that, i did the mbr.bin thing and all i get is a blank screen. . .

Thanks.

Gus
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 12:29:46 pm by gacl » Logged

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 01:43:36 pm »

Yes! I did it.

I had to cheat, though.

First, i installed Puppy to the UFD with the universal installer ( ext3 ). Then, i erased all the Puppy files, copied all the Vector Live files to the drive, renamed isolinux.cfg to extlinux.conf. . . that's it!

A couple of things:

- Remember to use chattr to erase the uneraseable.
- Maybe extlinux should be installed by default?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: