VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:17:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does VectorLinux 5.8 support ISA cards?  (Read 1982 times)
Captain

« on: June 20, 2007, 04:55:44 pm »

I downloaded ZenWalk as it was recommended for old PCs but I discovered they don't support ISA cards(I am not interested in recompiling a kernel either as that's beyond my abilities). I have a 3COM ISA NIC so that's a problem for me.

So, does VectorLinux 5.8 support ISA cards?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 08:24:47 pm »

So, does VectorLinux 5.8 support ISA cards?

I don't know if VectorLinux 5.8 supports every ISA card, but it certainly supports some. I have an ancient ISA Adaptec SCSI card in one computer and support for it is built into the kernel. Never ceases to amaze me!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 12:40:28 am »

I still have two computers with a 1,5-foot long ISA creative sound blaster card (remember those?  Grin), and they are working fine.
The ISA bus is certainly supported, now its just a matter of whether your card has drivers in the kernel or not.

Captain

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:49:48 pm »

Unfortunately it looks like VectorLinux 5.8 can't detect my ISA network card, nor can it detect my ISA modem but I'm not worried about the modem. Any idea on how I can get this to work with my NIC? It's a 3COM Fast Ethernet 10/100 3C515-TX ISA card. Thanks for any help!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 12:59:16 am »

Perhaps the module for that card isn't loaded? check
Code:
lsmod
The module "3c515" should be loaded. If it isn't, try loading it manually:
Code:
modprobe 3c515

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:42:35 am »

Yes. A couple of years ago I had the same problem. It is a bit of a fiddle but you need to first of all run the command "pnpdump" as root and put its output into a file called /etc/isapnp.conf - like this:

#pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

(you should then check that pnpdump actually detected your ISA NIC card correctly - if it did not your ISA card is probably faulty. You can do that by reading the file: "cat /etc/isapnp.conf").

Then edit the file (as root in a terminal) /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add the line "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" to the bottom of that file.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Captain

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 09:55:34 am »

Thanks for the tip lagagnon, I followed your instructions (I had to edit /etc/isapnp.conf to uncomment some stuff) and it looks like a 3com module is being loaded now. However, I think it's the wrong module: 3c59x. I believe it should be using the 3c515 module since that's my NIC model. BTW, when I ran netconfig previously, it would try to detect card and it would detect the same module:

A network card using the 3c59x.o module has been detected.

I can't seem to get the network to work though with that module. Are there additional steps I need to take to get the network to come up after that module is loaded?

Why is it detecting the wrong module and how can I correct it? Thanks for any tips!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: