VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Does VectorLinux 5.8 support ISA cards?  (Read 2290 times)

Captain

Does VectorLinux 5.8 support ISA cards?
« on: June 20, 2007, 05:55:44 pm »

I downloaded ZenWalk as it was recommended for old PCs but I discovered they don't support ISA cards(I am not interested in recompiling a kernel either as that's beyond my abilities). I have a 3COM ISA NIC so that's a problem for me.

So, does VectorLinux 5.8 support ISA cards?

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Does VectorLinux 5.8 support ISA cards?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:24:47 pm »

So, does VectorLinux 5.8 support ISA cards?

I don't know if VectorLinux 5.8 supports every ISA card, but it certainly supports some. I have an ancient ISA Adaptec SCSI card in one computer and support for it is built into the kernel. Never ceases to amaze me!
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

easuter

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:40:28 am »

I still have two computers with a 1,5-foot long ISA creative sound blaster card (remember those?  ;D), and they are working fine.
The ISA bus is certainly supported, now its just a matter of whether your card has drivers in the kernel or not.

Captain

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 10:49:48 pm »

Unfortunately it looks like VectorLinux 5.8 can't detect my ISA network card, nor can it detect my ISA modem but I'm not worried about the modem. Any idea on how I can get this to work with my NIC? It's a 3COM Fast Ethernet 10/100 3C515-TX ISA card. Thanks for any help!

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 01:59:16 am »

Perhaps the module for that card isn't loaded? check
Code: [Select]
lsmod The module "3c515" should be loaded. If it isn't, try loading it manually:
Code: [Select]
modprobe 3c515
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 07:42:35 am »

Yes. A couple of years ago I had the same problem. It is a bit of a fiddle but you need to first of all run the command "pnpdump" as root and put its output into a file called /etc/isapnp.conf - like this:

#pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

(you should then check that pnpdump actually detected your ISA NIC card correctly - if it did not your ISA card is probably faulty. You can do that by reading the file: "cat /etc/isapnp.conf").

Then edit the file (as root in a terminal) /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add the line "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" to the bottom of that file.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

Captain

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 10:55:34 am »

Thanks for the tip lagagnon, I followed your instructions (I had to edit /etc/isapnp.conf to uncomment some stuff) and it looks like a 3com module is being loaded now. However, I think it's the wrong module: 3c59x. I believe it should be using the 3c515 module since that's my NIC model. BTW, when I ran netconfig previously, it would try to detect card and it would detect the same module:

A network card using the 3c59x.o module has been detected.

I can't seem to get the network to work though with that module. Are there additional steps I need to take to get the network to come up after that module is loaded?

Why is it detecting the wrong module and how can I correct it? Thanks for any tips!