VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 11:33:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spying Slack, Zenwalk, ....  (Read 10413 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 02:19:13 pm »

That's what I figured. I hate polling demons like hal, and it's a reported resource hog on lower-powered boxes... Roll Eyes. That's the main reasoning behind vl-hot (besides configurable flexibility).

You're right. HAL is a pain in the ass, and I'm glad you did such a good job with vl-hot.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 02:20:39 pm »

Again, don't let the fact that the Slack repo for xorg 7 has 289 packages daunt you. There's a method to that seeming madness. ;-)

I just hope they don't get GNOME Syndrome.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 08:40:46 pm »

Are you honestly suggesting using another base than Slack? I sure hope not. Let's look at slack some more:

NOOOOOOOO (big one).
Phew. I was getting scared for a second there lol.  Smiley
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 09:28:16 am »

vector should take everything that suit its needs and is a good choice for the devs. It doesnt have to be all only from slackware,take everything from the open source world that is good  Grin

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 06:58:17 pm »

Very true, I just like the SW foundation. Smiley

I remeber hearing someone knocking forks as an illness, and while it can be, overall I see it just simply as more development, more contribution to the community from which others can then pull from. I certainly subscribe to taking the best of the best. Smiley
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 08:36:33 am »

Going way back to the original post  Smiley

I've tried SaxenOS 2.0 and found it to be slower than molasses running uphill in the wintertime.  Their installer is counter-intuitive in places and tends to ask questions that don't need to be asked and doesn't ask questions where they really do need to not make assumptions.  At one point it even asks you to click Finish when a process is completed rather than just moving on.  SaxenOS installer is a very poor model for VL.

Wolvix 1.1rc2 is impressive.  They've done a really nice job with it and it is lightning fast when run from RAM or installed to a hard drive (frugal or full install).  It's Xfce 4.4 based and has a nice selection of apps.

I still need to look at Slax6rc6 and GoblinX 2.0.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: