VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 07:20:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: questions about SKEL  (Read 2274 times)
Maniqui

« on: June 20, 2007, 08:44:43 pm »

Hi.

I have run the SKEL option in VASM (I have read what is it for in the VASM but I did't find it very clear).
Yes, I know it resets some configuration files. It's like a way back machine, and I'm not sure if I like where it takes you.
Some changes I noticed:
- it changes the mouse cursors... to a black old-fashioned kit that isn't available in the mouse configuration before running SKEL.
- I think it also changes the xterminal... it put "bash-3.1$", and if i'm not wrong, that's different from what the "standard-post-clean-install" shows.

I'm pretty ignorant about VL and Linux. Cheesy

So, if anyone can share some light about SKEL and when/how to use it, I think all newbies like me will benefit Wink.

Thanks in advance.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 06:45:10 am »

In order to setup standard user configuration files there is a directory called /etc/skel. Whenever a new user is created ALL the directories and files from /etc/skel are copied into the new user's home directory and the correct file permissions are set. SKEL allows you to choose which config files you want to copy over. You should only choose those relevant files/directories.

I have not noticed such changes you describe. It seems to me that should not occur. When I get some time over the next few days I will do some testing and see if I can duplicate it. Do you remember exactly what you did? Did you choose ALL the options in SKEL?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
urbanvoodoo

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 01:18:46 pm »

i was having the same problem so i made a test account to see what was wrong (couldn't bear to configure my account over and over)

basically it goes like this. When the account was made it looked like this:

After a few config changes it looked like this (not really necessary):

And once we run skel, we get this:

so i checked the /etc/skel folder through thunar(root) and it turns out that all files and folders are set to the following permissions:

owner : root
Access : read/write

group : root
Access : none

others : none

I changed these to:

owner : root
Access : read/write

group : root
Access : read only

others : read only

and then skel worked. these permissions have to applied to every file and folder so its best to use the apply recursively option when the dialog box pops up.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:22:22 am by urbanvoodoo » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:27:02 pm »

urbanvoodoo: please reduce your images before posting, or link to them on an outside site. It's not nice to dialup users and even those on slower DSL connections.

EDIT: I find that 512 x 384 pixels is a good balance, unless you need to post several images. Also, often the default compression ratio makes larger files than necessary.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:29:40 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
urbanvoodoo

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 12:26:06 am »

sorry, was in a bit of a hurry and i couldn't figure out how to resize images in gqview. Had to do a scale and crop in gimp.

back to the problem though, this doesn't restore the cursor settings for some reason, but that can be done through Desktop Menu -> Settings -> Mouse Settings
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 12:41:32 am by urbanvoodoo » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: