VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 04:03:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How about soccer within the VL community?  (Read 7368 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 01:42:18 pm »

Call me a troglodyte, but I never really understood the appeal of organized sports, including 'soccer'.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 01:58:25 pm »

Call me a troglodyte, but I never really understood the appeal of organized sports, including 'soccer'.

I never will call you that  Wink. Well, I guess I have two answers to that. First, I have no choices. You have two years old and your father puts a ball in your foot...soccer is the way we have to makes friends, and finally get introduced in to the language, comunication, and the more complex things on life, as honor, rigth and wrong, 2nd grade equations, etc. Cheesy
Second, there is an intellectual aproach, you can see any match as a chess one, The goalkeeper is the king...
I find very interesting this: a team is well structured, the tactics are working and there is no room for freedom, the match will go on as a logical idea developed in to time. But individual technic can introduce some kind of chaos, and the equilibrium is broken... as a musical piece, things start to move, from E7 to Amaj7, for example, and sometimes a familiar but never listened sound appears.
Goooooooooal!  Grin

Edit: I not a big deal, you are probably rigth, but does everything need to have sense? May be is just fun.
There is a third approach: In the modern life our moral and ethics push away from adventures and risks. The modern life structure has order and safety as a goal. Sports are a version of ancient wars. Almost the last place where something amazing, unexpected, wonderful can be done by a true hero...
Nhaaaa... this is blabla, as Borges said, growed people running for a ball...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 02:11:51 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 02:14:59 pm »

I dunno.

I guess football is kind of mundane for me. The context is what matters. For an abstract strategy game like Gomoku or Tafl, the players may imagine fighting samurais or Swedes vs. Russians, even though both of those games physically consist of a board with little pebbles on it.

The same goes for computer games. At the surface, Rogue-like games are simple 2d character grids with a little basic arithmetic and random numbers behind them. But because I imagine they concern Elves and Trolls, I think they're kool.

Kicking balls isn't as interesting to me. Because Orcs don't have gonads...

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 02:28:08 pm »

well, I didnt say soccer is a must for everybody. But there is a strong reason for people who likes it.
Context is important, but I can imagine a lot beyond the context, and that is because there is a structure beyond the context. What I said is more than my own idea about it, is -also- one of the many meanings of 'soccer', or -if you like- one of the multiples existence modes of soccer. Always a subject needs to put something...if not, Monalissa would be just 2 pounds of paint, and the Odyssey a lot of paper and ink.

ps: Only us can make a metaphisyc topic from this... Smiley

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:19:46 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2007, 02:47:24 pm »

Indeed.

The Odyssey stems largely from a rich oral tradition and everyone loves the Odyssey because it's about a Greek MacGyver who appears to be vaguely based on Rama Raj.

[Archery contest, banishment, marital fidelity...think about it...]

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 02:54:14 pm »

Thanks rbistolfi if you liked my list. Smiley I liked your list as well, you had a really good mix between great players. Both defenders, midfielders and attackers. Smiley  I thought now it's time to announce my dream line-up with players.

The line-up would be a 4-2-3-1 formation with the following players:

1.   Left back: Gianluca Zambrotta
2.   Centre back: Walter Samuel
3.   Right back: Fabio Cannavaro
4.   Left midfielder: Pavel Nedved
5.   Defensive midfielder: Esteban Cambiasso
6.   Right midfielder: Steven Gerrard
7.   Offensive midfielder: Juan Roman Riquelme
8.   Offensive midfielder: Pablo Aimar
9.   Striker: Alessandro Del Piero
10. Striker: Vincenzo Iaquinta

Hope you like that list, there are a lot of former and current Juventus players on that list  Roll Eyes

I must say that Walter Samuel is very unappreciated, he is not recognized enough when talking about the best centre backs in the world. When he was playing for A.S Roma in Serie A he was nicknamed "Il Gladiatore", The Gladiator. Smiley
It would be a dream to watch Riquelme and Aimar together at Juventus, hopefully at least one of them will join this summer. Smiley
Juventus is chasing Riquelme from Villareal, hopefully he can join the "Old Lady" Smiley

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 03:19:18 pm »

Indeed.

The Odyssey stems largely from a rich oral tradition and everyone loves the Odyssey because it's about a Greek MacGyver who appears to be vaguely based on Rama Raj.

LOL That is an accurated description  Grin. Indeed, oral traditions are the base of our more ancient books, and they seems to reappear all over the indoeuropean region. I really like Robert Graves research about this. But I think there is no one who can find the relation between our most old tales and the ones in orient. I think the two worlds are too much for one person. I wish we could travel in time, because there is not too much evidence about this things.

Hey DrGrov, back to soccer!  Cheesy
Nice team, it could beat almost everyone!

You missed the goalkeeper,

1. Casillas

2. Ayala
3. Samuel
4. Roberto Carlos
5. Zanetti

6. Redondo
7. Xavi

8. Riquelme
9. Van Bassten
10. Del Piero

11. Batistuta

Juventus is chasing Riquelme from Villareal, hopefully he can join the "Old Lady"

He played for Boca Juniors and won the Libertadores Cup (the local "UEFA CL") just two days ago. He played awsome, with 8 goals (three on the finals) and several assists. A great teamplay and he take cares of the ball as always, using his body to protect the ball. I think Riquelme could be great for Juventus, he is perfect for the calcio, he just needs some fast players on the sides.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:32:58 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 03:23:21 pm »

Indeed.

LOL That is an accurated description  Grin. Indeed, oral traditions are the base of our more ancient books, and they seems to reappear all over the indoeuropean region. I really like Robert Graves research. But I think there is no one who can find the relation between our most old tales and the ones in orient. I think the two worlds are too much for one person. I wish we could travel in time, because there is not too much evidence about this things.

There's probably research on it somewhere.

'Men' are said to be descendants of Manu...

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 03:30:48 pm »

Oh darn it, that's true. I forgot the goalkeeper.  Grin

Well, the goalkeeper would definitely be Gianluigi Buffon. Smiley
I like your team, rbistolfi Smiley

If I needed to change my team now and put some former players in the line-up I would definitely have Gabriel Batistuta with the team and skip Vincenzo Iaquinta. Batistuta is a all-around striker with a wonderful right foot. Smiley
I still remember the goal he scored for Fiorentina against Man Utd at Old Trafford.
He scored from almost 35 meters and didn't even run against the ball when he scored. It was a dead ball he shot and scored. Smiley

If I need to change other players from old players I would definitely add Gaetano Scirea and Antonio Cabrini. My favorite defenders of all time together with Samuel, Cannavaro, Montero and a few other ones as well.

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 03:39:39 pm »

Rigth... The language is probably the best approach, seems to be several things in common...

Batistuta is a all-around striker with a wonderful right foot.

I remember once, playing for Argentina, he made a shot from a free kick, and the ball hit a defense from the other team in the leg with the ball, he needed to be replaced  Cheesy Cheesy

I like Montero, Uruguay gave good players... I like the Holland style, with the wings, Van Persey and Christiano Ronaldo are good wingmans.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 03:47:44 pm »

Rigth... The language is probably the best approach, seems to be several things in common...

Even the old stories are transparently similar. The folk of the Vedic age thousands of years ago called the bier the 'eight-legged horse' because four men use it to carry the dead away.

If it be a coincidence, it's an incredible one.

Sorry I'm so ignorant about football though. Sad

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 04:45:40 pm »

That is a nice one. I think what we call western and eastern in anthropoligical sense, is just because of lazy people. Several migrations from east to west happened, and there is no way to split the "true" Europe from Asia, if you look deeply.
One more step, I traveled to northern Argentina, Bolivia and Peru many years ago. The spring-summer rituals are still used there. They make a hole in the ground, to leave the "evils" free (ovious christian sincretism) and they come into the surface to give us the vital force. Just like the Persephone and Demeter myth, the same structure. I dont know if it is coincidence neither, but a connection is hard to probe, that is true also, I am affraid.

--
Jumalauta!!
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 10:08:30 pm »

"I think Kaka is the better playmaker."

Hey, that's my avatar!

Football rules. No other sport exists as far as i'm concerned. The US and Mexico will play this Sunday. Any predictions? I say Mexico loses 3 to 1. They should have never fired LaVolpe.

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 09:14:51 am »

Hey, I agree about LaVolpe. That is a hard game, I think US is better than Mexico now, but Mexicans hates to lose with them...

--
Jumalauta!!
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 08:06:48 pm »

Heh, Mexico lost 2 to 1. Good thing i didn't bet. Now the cup in Venezuela is coming up. . . i'm going to have to quit my job.

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: