VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 10:15:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphical versus Text Installer  (Read 15251 times)
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2007, 04:33:01 pm »

Despite all this discussion we should remember that our friend Joe1962 has probably put in considerable efforts and hours of work into writing a Graphical Installer for VL in Gambas. I don't know how far he is along with it but we do have very few developers in VL and they all need our full support.

True ... this is the first time I've looked at the gui installer development:  http://jjrweb.byethost.com/vl/dev/new-installer/  Great work, Joe1962! That's really looking impressive.  Though I'm very comfortable using text installers, this looks like an excellent addition. The more I look at those screenies, the better I like the idea.  I'm starting to want to see this for real!

I agree with blurymind ... having both available would be ideal.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 08:08:40 pm »

I'm very happy with the text installer but would have no objections to a GUI installer like Joe1962's. I also like cfdisk. However, it assumes the user understands something about partitioning, and I'm sure many do not. People *should* understand something about partitioning, it's pretty basic once you get beyond newbie-level computing, but getting a crash course while you're installing your first Linux may not be the best time for it.<g>

Many distros have an automatic "take over the drive" option. Often it's the default, which I think is rather dangerous. No matter what sort of warning you put up, some people aren't going to realize that using the "take over the drive" option will wipe out their Windows. Then they get all huffy over Linux wrecking their Windows. Also, consider the size of drives these days. Unless you're really committed to a single operating system (including a single Linux distro), I wonder if you really want to have 500 gigs devoted to it. And automatically making a swap partition of two times RAM? Hey--I have 3 gigs on my main desktop. Do I need 6 GIGS for swap?? (I have 512 megs.)

I don't think there's an easy answer to the partitioning conundrum. I do think that part of the installation needs to be made easier, however.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2007, 12:26:39 pm »

Finally figured out what the problem was. The html text in the TextLabel components. Those are like the one with the "Warning"... Roll Eyes. It was working ok in 1.9.47. Sent an email to the gambas maling list and am hoping for a solution. We wouldn't want that particular warning in plain text now, would we?... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2007, 01:03:02 pm »

Finally figured out what the problem was. The html text in the TextLabel components. Those are like the one with the "Warning"... Roll Eyes. It was working ok in 1.9.47. Sent an email to the gambas maling list and am hoping for a solution. We wouldn't want that particular warning in plain text now, would we?... Grin

Cool!  Grin

I've only been using Gambas for a few months, and I'm already as impatient as hell for Gambas 2.0 to be released...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 01:14:30 pm by easuter » Logged

Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2007, 06:36:46 pm »

I have another idea, ....

How about making a "GUI distro installer, partitioning and rescue Live Flashdisk" ?
Kinda a cross of Puppy linux and Rescue CD.
We can put everything in it from xorg, qt, gtk, gtkmm, qtparted, gparted, k3b, the GUI installer of course,
even a music player to listen some music (or propaganda) while the distro is installing
(I guess it would take longer than using the text installer, right ?).

To install VL, boot from the USB, put in the VL-CD, there we go ....

The advantages:
- You got the GUI installer in the live FD, text installer in the CD.
- The live FD installer will be generic, you can use that for any version/flavour of VL
- You don't have to download the installer again and again just to try STD, SOHO, Dynamite, etc ... (worth 100 MB at least)
- The VL CD only contains the text installer (only 2 MB, save 98 MB for each CD / ISO file).
- Of course the live FD can install an ISO file too, just put it in the harddisk first (save burning a CD).

Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 06:54:12 pm »

I would like to mentions that VL uses the lzma with maximum compression for the tarballs (-9),
while using the good compression (-7) for the pakages.
The memory requirement is ... (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-guide/lzma-compression.html)
# Best
    * Compressing Speed: 1.6 MB/s
    * Decompressing Speed: 15 MB/s
    * Memory for Compressing: 709 MB
    * Memory for Decompressing: 66 MB

So please consider that, if you are going to use GUI installer.

Toe

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2007, 08:02:19 pm »

Yikes, what's the official minimum req for RAM in VL these days?  The 18 MB decompressing memory for the next step below looks a hell of a lot friendlier.  And from what recall of my own 7zip testing a few years ago, the size advantage above 'normal' is pretty tiny relative to the increase in processing power needed. 

(I tested like half a dozen different compression programs on various settings, and decided on 7zip/lzma on normal for best compression with decent speed, 7z on fast for a good balance of speed & size, and gzip on normal for raw speed with decent compression).
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2007, 05:18:20 am »

Also:

Maintaining two different installers will be a huge pain.

(Please) stay with text installer sez I.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
edwinsage

formerly KamikaziFreak

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2007, 09:46:59 am »

I have another idea, ....

How about making a "GUI distro installer, partitioning and rescue Live Flashdisk" ?
Kinda a cross of Puppy linux and Rescue CD.
We can put everything in it from xorg, qt, gtk, gtkmm, qtparted, gparted, k3b, the GUI installer of course,
even a music player to listen some music (or propaganda) while the distro is installing
(I guess it would take longer than using the text installer, right ?).

To install VL, boot from the USB, put in the VL-CD, there we go ....

The advantages:
- You got the GUI installer in the live FD, text installer in the CD.
- The live FD installer will be generic, you can use that for any version/flavour of VL
- You don't have to download the installer again and again just to try STD, SOHO, Dynamite, etc ... (worth 100 MB at least)
- The VL CD only contains the text installer (only 2 MB, save 98 MB for each CD / ISO file).
- Of course the live FD can install an ISO file too, just put it in the harddisk first (save burning a CD).

That sounds like a wonderful idea to me.  Some of the stuff seems a bit extraneous, such as the music player which strikes me as silly, but it's good to bring up all the ideas that you get.  I'm slightly concerned that users with older hardware that can't boot USB would be left out, but there may be some ways around it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: