VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 02:21:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] LAN browsing with pyNeighborhood  (Read 3359 times)
Verlager

« on: June 23, 2007, 03:29:23 pm »

I am trying to browse to my windows machine on my LAN with pyNeighborhood. I can see the other machine, and the shares on it, but I can't mount them. I highlite the shared entry, right-click / mount / SMB and "failed to mount" always shows.

What can I do to mount the LAN workgroup shares shown in pyNeighborhood?

How do I check and see if my samba client is running? Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:17:44 pm by Verlager » Logged

Fear believes; courage doubts. Fear falls upon the earth and prays; courage stands erect and thinks. Fear retreats; courage advances. Fear is barbarism; courage is civilization. Fear believes in witchcraft, in devils and in ghosts. Fear is religion, courage is science. —Robert Ingersoll
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 04:00:27 pm »

You are asking one the same questions from the pyneighborhood site;

There are a couple of things to do:

1. Check that you have write privileges to the mount directory listed in Preferences-->General. By default, it is /mnt/lan. A simple test is to change this to your home directory ("/home/andreas" or whatever it is called) and see if this makes things work.

2. If that doesn't help, have a look in the pyNeighborhood.log file in the ~/.pyNeighborhood directory.

Search and you shall find.

Bigpaws
Verlager

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 04:17:22 pm »

Ugh! I just found out the solution in google at ubuntu: "Apparently pyNeighborhood needs midnight commander (mc) installed. {blah-blah} After installing it I can now see, and browse my smb shares without problem."

My bad. Should I delete the original post?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:49:30 pm by Verlager » Logged

Fear believes; courage doubts. Fear falls upon the earth and prays; courage stands erect and thinks. Fear retreats; courage advances. Fear is barbarism; courage is civilization. Fear believes in witchcraft, in devils and in ghosts. Fear is religion, courage is science. —Robert Ingersoll
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 08:34:57 am »

No - it's a good thing that you posted the solution so that others who want to use pyNeighborhood to browse their LAN's will know what to do if they run into a problem. ;-)

Cheers,
John - your friendly Admin

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: