VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] LAN browsing with pyNeighborhood  (Read 3668 times)

Verlager

[SOLVED] LAN browsing with pyNeighborhood
« on: June 23, 2007, 04:29:23 pm »

I am trying to browse to my windows machine on my LAN with pyNeighborhood. I can see the other machine, and the shares on it, but I can't mount them. I highlite the shared entry, right-click / mount / SMB and "failed to mount" always shows.

What can I do to mount the LAN workgroup shares shown in pyNeighborhood?

How do I check and see if my samba client is running? Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 05:17:44 pm by Verlager »
Fear believes; courage doubts. Fear falls upon the earth and prays; courage stands erect and thinks. Fear retreats; courage advances. Fear is barbarism; courage is civilization. Fear believes in witchcraft, in devils and in ghosts. Fear is religion, courage is science. —Robert Ingersoll

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: LAN browsing with pyNeighborhood
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 05:00:27 pm »

You are asking one the same questions from the pyneighborhood site;

There are a couple of things to do:

1. Check that you have write privileges to the mount directory listed in Preferences-->General. By default, it is /mnt/lan. A simple test is to change this to your home directory ("/home/andreas" or whatever it is called) and see if this makes things work.

2. If that doesn't help, have a look in the pyNeighborhood.log file in the ~/.pyNeighborhood directory.

Search and you shall find.

Bigpaws

Verlager

Re: LAN browsing with pyNeighborhood
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 05:17:22 pm »

Ugh! I just found out the solution in google at ubuntu: "Apparently pyNeighborhood needs midnight commander (mc) installed. {blah-blah} After installing it I can now see, and browse my smb shares without problem."

My bad. Should I delete the original post?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 05:49:30 pm by Verlager »
Fear believes; courage doubts. Fear falls upon the earth and prays; courage stands erect and thinks. Fear retreats; courage advances. Fear is barbarism; courage is civilization. Fear believes in witchcraft, in devils and in ghosts. Fear is religion, courage is science. —Robert Ingersoll

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
Re: [SOLVED] LAN browsing with pyNeighborhood
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 09:34:57 am »

No - it's a good thing that you posted the solution so that others who want to use pyNeighborhood to browse their LAN's will know what to do if they run into a problem. ;-)

Cheers,
John - your friendly Admin
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.