VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 07:48:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Music program  (Read 7460 times)
V3ct0r

« on: June 26, 2007, 03:18:17 pm »

I am looking for a music package that would work like musictime, or finale (both for windows); a software where you write the notes and it plays them to you with different instruments, and also that I may add lyrics.

I installed rosegarden in  my laptop, however I find it exceedingly bulky, and having all those media options that I dont use; at the same time, the support for making a score and printing it seemed absent, if not at least overcomplicated with all those midi options that serve no purpose for me.

Think of open office writer, but for music,with playback; thats what I am looking for. I want to make a page of music, putting the notes via clicks, arrange it so it looks nice, and listen to it, then print.

Do anyone has any suggestions, besides rosegarden?
Thanks
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:54:39 pm »

There is some options. Lilypond is the first. It can print a score, and it can produce a midi file. But it has no gui, you need to write a text file for it. There is some guis for lilypond, as Denemo:

http://denemo.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

From the website:
Dependencies

Denemo has the following build requirements:

* g++ 2.95
    * flex 2.5.4a
    * bison 1.35
    * gtk+-2.6
    * libxml2
    * lilypond 2.0
    * autoconf 2.59

Optional Includes

The following will help you get full functionality from Denemo:

* Lilypond 2.6 (supported but not fully tested)
    * CSound
    * An audio player such as play, or aplay
    * A midi player such as Timidity

The other option I know is NoteEdit:

http://noteedit.berlios.de/index.html

NoteEdit is not being developed anymore, it will be replaced by the promising but still in beta stage Canorus.

https://canorus.berlios.de/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Looks like Canorus can do everything you want, but I didnt try it, so I dont know if is buggy or is already useful.

Sorry, I cant give more, I am not really into midi, and this are my first steps on music with linux too. I am sure The Headeacher (the official vl musician  Smiley, I am trying to convince him to show his music) will help you better.

PS: There is a noteEdit package at linuxpackages.net

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 02:23:15 am »

I am looking for a music package that would work like musictime, or finale (both for windows); a software where you write the notes and it plays them to you with different instruments, and also that I may add lyrics.
This might be tricky, I don't think there are any music tools for Linux that have support for adding text lyrics, or did you mean you want to record lyrics with a microphone? Also, what sort of instruments do you mean? Loading an audio sample and use that, midi, or perhaps something else entirely (like messing with oscillators and filters etc.)?

Links to a lot of Linux audio applications can be found here: http://linux-sound.org/

There is some options. Lilypond is the first. It can print a score, and it can produce a midi file.
The problem with lilypond is that it needs gcc4 to compile.

I tried building it when I wanted to build a newer Rosegarden for the repository, but failed because of this. Which is quite a shame, because the newer version of Rosegarden is pretty cool.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
V3ct0r

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:13:56 pm »

hmm what I mean is that I dont want to record anything: I want to write down the notes with clicks, write the lyrics ( which would be merely graphic) and have the computer to play what I wrote to me. I am not at all into mixing.

So there is no music program that can display lyrics? omg my downfall...I cant believe no one thought of that, it is so elementary; so there is no way to write a choral music score under linux?
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 02:42:17 pm »

I want to write down the notes with clicks, write the lyrics ( which would be merely graphic) and have the computer to play what I wrote to me.

Well, apparently denemo should be able to add Lyrics to score AND be able to play the score as midi or csound (I have never tried it myself), but it needs lilypond, which won't build on VL because it needs a newer compiler (gcc-4.x). The compiler we're using (gcc-3.4.6) is the one that comes with Slackware 11 (on which VL 5.8 is based), and it's not something you can just upgrade easily without risking to break your system. 

Slackware 12 and the next VL 6 that's going to be based on that will come with gcc 4.x, but that will take a while...

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 03:01:41 pm »

NoteEdit can do all that stuff. You can check it out on that link I gave above. It will be not developed anymore, but you can use it until the replacement is ready.

NoteEdit is a free music score editor for Linux. It supports an unlimited number and length of staffs, polyphony, a MIDI playback of written notes, chord markings, lyrics, a number of import and export filters to many formats like MIDI, MusicXML, ABC Music, MUP, PMX, MusiXTeX and LilyPond and more!

You can find a package for NoteEdit at linuxpackages.net

Here are the deps:

Requirements for source compilation

You need the following packages:

g++ compiler (You can use g++-3.x, but make sure QT/KDE (others Huh) is also g++-3.x-compiled/You need TSE3-0.2.5 for gcc-3.2!)

X11 (include and libraries)

Qt (include and libraries) Qtdevel2 (>=Qt-2.2.2)

YACC or Bison

LEX or flex

KDE-2.x.y or KDE3

gettext (only for text translation)

extractrc(from kde developement) (only for text translation)

recommended:

TSE3 Library Version (0.1.2, 0.1.3, 0.2.3, 0.2.5) see: http://TSE3.sourceforge.net

A good idea is also: LaTeX (te_latex package), MusiXTeX, xdvi, dvips, gv.

abcm2ps (version 3.x.y!!!) http://moinejf.free.fr

and: LilyPond (for LilyPond installation MetaPost and the kpathsea headers)

likewise: LibKMid; see http://www.arrakis.es/~rlarrosa/libkmid.html (Note: Not all features are available in this case! (MIDI import))

If you want to use NoteEdit with aRts MIDI scheduler: aRts (include and libraries; especially artsmidi.h)

Sorry, I cant compile it rigth now because I have no time, but looks doable. Lilypond is optional Wink

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
V3ct0r

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:42:18 am »

I am too nOOby to go on stuff like that  Undecided I already had a hard time to install rosegarden, which was packed for vector; Things like "recompile", "dependencies" etc scare me  Tongue
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 10:21:39 am »

Is not that hard. Ther is a Howto about how to make a package for vector linux. You could use it as a how to compile from source as well, if you want to.
But I think most of the things needed are in the repo already. I am not sure about YACC or Bison and Flex.
If you can wait, I can take a look at it in a few days. If not, you could install it from linuxpackages.net. Try to install the deps from the list first, with gslapt. We can guide you in the process from here.  Wink

--
Jumalauta!!
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 10:59:03 am »

lex,flex,yacc,bison, and lots of parsers and stuff like that are already bundled in VL (std, for sure, probably SOHO too). 
That's one of the killer features of vl IMO.  Nice to the eyes and ready to compile! (mmm... it sounds like another slogan)

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 11:19:10 am »

Great news Kidd!, Thanks. Then you just need to download the package from here:

http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.php?by=name&name=noteedit&ver=11.0

Install it with installpkg command (you can "rigth-click" too). If it not work, run it from the terminal and post the output here.

--
Jumalauta!!
V3ct0r

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 12:48:09 pm »

Smiley

I did installpkg, this is what I got:

root:# installpkg noteedit-2.8.1-i486-1kjz.tgz

.-----.-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
| 1/1 | Installing noteedit-2.8.1-i486-1kjz.tgz                               |
'-----'-----------------------------------------------------------------------'

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| NoteEdit - A score editor for Linux                                         |
|                                                                             |
| NoteEdit is an editor for music notation that supports an unlimited         |
| number of staffs and up to 9 voices per staff.  You can use it to           |
| create sheets of notes.  You can import and export into many formats        |
| like MIDI, MusicXML, and Lilypond.                                          |
| Requires the TSE3 sequencer engine library.                                 |
| Homepage: http://noteedit.berlios.de/                                       |
| Packaged by Ken Zalewski (kennyz@nycap.rr.com)                              |
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Executing install script for noteedit-2.8.1-i486-1kjz...

vector:/~/Desktop
root:#

But when I go to run program, and write noteedit, nothing happens...
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 12:56:49 pm »

Try it from a terminal and post the errors you get... it's probably missing some dependency.

V3ct0r

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 01:52:50 pm »

But...the above in red is from the terminal...
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 01:58:39 pm »

What you pasted was the output from the installation program (installpkg).
Try to execute the program itself and paste the output. 

HTH,

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 02:49:52 pm »

you need to open a terminal and type

Code:
noteedit

Then post the output of that command here. I bet it is the TSE3 lib. It is optional but surely the packager included it at compiling time. You can get TSE3 from linuxpackages.net too:

http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.php?by=name&name=tse3&ver=11.0

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: