VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 03:55:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: xorg.conf Installation Troubles  (Read 7572 times)
Tracer Tong

« on: June 26, 2007, 09:26:10 pm »

I'm gotten to the point in the installation where you setup the X configuration.  However, I get the message
Code:
There as an error in your X configuration.  Would you like to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf as autocnfig must have stubmled somewhere?

etc etc

I hit yes and try to change some of the values, but it doesn't make any difference.  Any tips?  I've got an old Toshiba Satellite 2065CDS, 366Mhz CPU 64 megs memory.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:00:23 am »

try to set your X as basic as can be........lower the color dept and monitor resolution.....
Tracer Tong

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 06:19:14 am »

try to set your X as basic as can be........lower the color dept and monitor resolution.....

I tried that in the initial configuration and nothing was working so I bypassed the X setup.  Is there a way to run it again from the command line?  I tried running
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
but that didn't work.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 08:23:31 am »

Did you try from VASM? If not give that a shot.

Bigpaws
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:26:49 am »

From VASM is probably the best bet, but you could also issue 'xorgconfig' as root from terminal to configure X.  Have your monitor vertical and horizontal refresh rates handy.

HTH
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 08:51:57 am »

... I tried running
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
but that didn't work.

Tracer Tong: VectorLinux does not use Debian based packaging systems so dpkg is not part or our repetoire. As the others said, try using System, VASM, SUPER, XWINDOW. If that does not work I would edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf (as root in a terminal) and change the Driver to "vesa" and the DefaultDepth to "16" and see how that works.

To find out about our packaging system and other aspects concerning how VL works please read the VL Manuals, found via the VL Docs Icon on your desktop, or specifically read it online here:  http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_slaptget_en.html .

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Tracer Tong

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:25:31 am »

I was able to get a succesful config using xorgconfig.  I had booted into linux (command line only), i ran startx and I get several windows, but all that comes up is three terminals, and something like xclock.  Is that normal, did I set something up wrong?  What window mananger would have a application menu, and perhaps some more gui related apps.  I'm not much a comand line expert.  Thanks again for all of your help.

One other question, it's a laptop, so it's got an LCD, how would I figure out what the refresh and sync rates would be?  Would I have to check the manufacturers specs or is there a command I can run?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:40:56 am »

What you are describing is twm, the very primitive but failsafe window manager.  I believe from another thread you want to run jwm.  Install that with:

slapt-get --install jwm

and change your default runlevel so that X starts on boot (runlevel 4 or 5).  You can do that in VASM (super user mode only).  When you next reboot you should get kdm and be ale to choose jwm as your session.

You shouldn't need to set your sync rates manually.  I did a little research on your laptop and found these specs from a Slackware 10 config at http://home.comcast.net/~fbui/Linux-on-Toshiba2065cds.html
The 2065CDS has an S3 ViRGE/MX rev 06 with 2 MB of video RAM.

The maximum external video resolution is 1280x1024, 256 colors.
That info should be enough for you to get X to work if you set for the proper chipset and a generic LCD display with appropriate resolution. (You'll probably max out at 1024x768 on older Toshibas.)  If you absolutely want to confirm the sync values you will have to go back to manufacturer's specs.  Toshiba in Japan also has a Linux mailing list (in English) where you may be able to get more specific help with your model.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Tracer Tong

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 07:47:47 pm »

Thanks for the reply and explaining what was going on.  I was trying to install jwm, and realized that my networking is not working.  I read that link and it sounds like I'm in trouble, I have a PCMCIA network card.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 02:37:04 am »

Well seeing as you don't have networking yet, and since JWM's package won't require you to install any extra stuff beforehand, you can download it manually here:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/extra/x-apps/jwm-1.8-i586-4vl58.tlz

Put it in your user's home directory, then open a terminal, and logon as root (with the su command), and then run this comand:

Code:
installpkg jwm-1.8-i586-4vl58.tlz

Then logout, and in the login screen at startup, chose "JWM" from the "Session" menu. when you log in, JWM will start.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 09:37:27 am »

Actually, JWM does have one dependency:  xli.  It will run with that dependency missing but you just won't get a background on your screen -- it will just be a panel at the bottom and a blank screen. 

You should be able to setup networking in vasm.  I'm using a PCMCIA card now (wireless) and also use a 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet card on my Libretto SS1010.  Vector Linux 5.8 recognizes both with no special action required.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Tracer Tong

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »

You should be able to setup networking in vasm.  I'm using a PCMCIA card now (wireless) and also use a 3Com PCMCIA Ethernet card on my Libretto SS1010.  Vector Linux 5.8 recognizes both with no special action required.
Vasm didn't detect my network card.  "no network card found", the green led comes on indicating I have a T100 connection, but it isn't recognized by the OS.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 06:25:56 pm »

Please post the pcmcia card name,model and revision # if there is
one.

Bigpaws
Tracer Tong

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 06:33:36 pm »

3Com Megahertz LAN
10/100 LAN PC Card
Model: 3CCFE574BT
Rev:A
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 07:13:08 pm »

Tracer Tong: when you installed VL did you select the PCMCIA service? Let me assume you did. Now go into a terminal logged in as root and post the output of the following commands to this thread, to enable us to help diagnose your problem:

lspci
lsmod
cardctl status

You can easily paste output from a terminal into a browser by selecting the text with your mouse - going into the other window and pressing the middle mouse button.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: