VectorLinux
April 22, 2014, 11:03:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Sound in Browsers with www.dw-world.de/dw/  (Read 3365 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« on: June 26, 2007, 10:07:08 pm »

VL-5.8-Gold

I have no sound with firefox, opera or seamonkey when trying to play audio or video from the website www.dw-world.de/dw/ be it with internal mplayer or external player totem. They offer 3 choice real, window media or mp3. Choosing window media I get a useless stuttering sound and nothing at all with real or mp3. The indicators show that there is sound streaming and the bar on Totem moves forward silently.

With other news websites there is no such problem.

I went over to slackbox 10.2 and I have sound with the above website, audio and video with those browsers.

Something weird going on. How could that be fixed?

Regards
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:13:57 pm »

Huh. I'm away from Linux at present, but, if only for a partial solution, I'd copy the 'external link' from the right click menu and use it with mplayer.

For instance:

Code:
mplayer rtsp://a1710.v143416.c14341.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/1710/14341/v0001/ondemand.dw-world.de/dwelle/audio/dalet/00b9ab7e.rm

Yeah, quite long. Smiley

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 12:06:34 am »

Thanks!

Solved for opera. Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Programs add Protocol for mms and rtsp Program /usr/bin/mplayer.
Then go for external player.

Now I will see if the same holds true for firefox.

Regards
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:24:36 am by Pita » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 12:30:52 am »

Huh, one of my half-assed solutions worked for once...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:30:17 am »

I have no sound with firefox, opera or seamonkey when trying to play audio or video from the website www.dw-world.de/dw/ be it with internal mplayer or external player totem.
Works just fine here using Firefox and internal mplayer, both audio and video and I am using VL 5.8 SOHO. Perhaps their website was having a problem when you tried it or else you must have done some sort of upgrading to your system recently??

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 05:51:14 pm »

Works just fine here using Firefox and internal mplayer, both audio and video and I am using VL 5.8 SOHO. Perhaps their website was having a problem when you tried it or else you must have done some sort of upgrading to your system recently??

It cannot be their website since I switch to slackware and it worked and back to VL and it does not work. Now what I noticed is that both seamonkey and firefox insist on using totem as external player for this website. I seem to be unable to change to mplayer (where?). In both browsers I cannot find settings like in opera. As for my system I only installed and uninstalled "evince" lately.

A further curiousity is that in firefox/seamonkey I get video with totem and no sound and with mplayer only sound and no video. It sends an error that it cannot open the video. Again this only holds for this particular website.

hanumizzle, yes your solution works only I have a hard time extracting the website. That gave me the idea for the opera fix. You might suggest now to play totem and mplayer together for both video and sound :-) :-)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 06:03:30 pm »

Well, picking the windows media player 45kbps stream from the link below worked perfectly for me with embedded mplayer in SeaMonkey 1.1.2, in an otherwise stock 5.8 Standard Gold which I use as a clean box for packaging. And this was inside vmware player running on windows... Grin

http://www.dw-world.de/popups/popup_mediaplayer/0,,1941_type_livevideo_struct_266,00.html

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 07:19:41 pm »

Well, picking the windows media player 45kbps stream from the link below worked perfectly for me with embedded mplayer in SeaMonkey 1.1.2, in an otherwise stock 5.8 Standard Gold which I use as a clean box for packaging. And this was inside vmware player running on windows... Grin

http://www.dw-world.de/popups/popup_mediaplayer/0,,1941_type_livevideo_struct_266,00.html

Thanks yes that works both for audio and video live. What not works is audio/video on demand. Klicking on those sites which start either with mms or rtsp I have no sound except now in opera.Huh
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 07:24:33 pm by Pita » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 08:08:55 pm »

Ok, I'll try and test that tomorrow.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 07:51:23 pm »

Correction, my slackware box is 11.0 not 10.2 as stated above. I just checked it again the presented problem does not exist in slack 11.0. Audio/video on demand open properly in www.dw-world.de/dw/.

Regards
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 11:33:58 pm »

I am returning to this topic even so it might only be specific to my needs. However, since the problem is in VL-5.8 Gold and does not appear in slackware I assume it must be a bug somewhere which I am sure somebody should look into especially now that I read about upgrades of VL.

Regards
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 03:20:09 am »

The problem was finally solved after I upgraded to xine-lib-1.1.7 from 1.1.2.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: