VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 08:25:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: WebSite Mockups  (Read 44399 times)
M-ake

« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2009, 11:08:21 pm »

I say thanks everyone for fair feedback and criticism. Having published some paintings on a few art sites, I say it's a hard thing to come by these days.
As far as I see,  some parts of the current website should be addressed as Granny described if community sees fit. As with the dark theme update, lets ice the whole thing for a while.

What I've been trying to do is develop VL graphics, starting with the distro itself (if you've seen my theme pack for VL59). One thing that bugs me is that 'brand recognition' holds us back, from my point of view. One examble being the official VL logo ( http://vectorlinux.com/images/V-world.png/image_preview ) which is way too small to be used for "anything". Wanna create a wallpaper with the official VL logo on it? Nope, you can't..without the logo being a little dot in the corner. Or being scaled bigger until it's pixelated and blurry. I do understand people wanting to create the brand recognition, tho.

Imo, it's better to make unofficial graphics, than to stay shackled in the name of brand recognition. At least you can move forward.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:49:01 pm by M-ake » Logged

Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2009, 08:07:41 pm »

What I've been trying to do is develop VL graphics, starting with the distro itself (if you've seen my theme pack for VL59). One thing that bugs me is that 'brand recognition' holds us back, from my point of view. One examble being the official VL logo ( http://vectorlinux.com/images/V-world.png/image_preview ) which is way too small to be used for "anything". Wanna create a wallpaper with the official VL logo on it? Nope, you can't..without the logo being a little dot in the corner. Or being scaled bigger until it's pixelated and blurry. I do understand people wanting to create the brand recognition, tho.

Imo, it's better to make unofficial graphics, than to stay shackled in the name of brand recognition. At least you can move forward.

The problem with raster graphics is that they can't be resized without loss of quality or pixelization. Could not the Vector logo be vectorized to SVG and EPS so that it could be resized without loss of quality? What about recreating it as raster but in a range of sizes?

I think it would be easier to design wallpaper and banners if we weren't so constrained by the size of the logo. That does leave open the question of redesigning the logo, but at least we'd have something more usable for now.

My Gimp and Inkscape skills are rudimentary or I'd volunteer to see what I could do with vectorizing and creating a range of raster logo images.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: