VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 08:34:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems installing windows with VL  (Read 1955 times)
Capu

« on: July 01, 2007, 08:23:14 am »

So, I have installed VL 5.8 SOHO, I have it working just fine, exept for wine cant run all the stuff I would want it to run (I cant get it to install stuff from CD's) so I have to install windows (or get wine working...)

Now, when I place the windows xp CD in CD drive, it first starts to check my system, and then gives me black screen. Nothing else.
But when I place the CD in my other computers CD drive, I can view stuff in it just fine. So, I think the CD is good.

Would also appriciate if someone could tell me how to use CD's with wine.

EDIT: Got windows working now... I just placed XP CD in CD drive right after installing VL... Turned monitor and restarted it. (Just turning off the monitor didnt seem to do anything...)

But, I still would like to know how to use CD's with wine.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 08:33:05 am by Capu » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:55:24 pm »

I still would like to know how to use CD's with wine.

I assume you mean you want to install Windows programs under Wine using their installation CD.

First you have to install Wine. There is a package in the VL repository. Wine will set up a "fake Windows" in your user home directory. Do not run Wine as root.

Stick the CD in the CD-ROM drive and mount the drive. I don't know whether KDE does this automatically (I use 5.8 Standard and XFce). Then open a terminal and switch to the CD-ROM drive--probably with
cd /mnt/cdrom
but if not, wherever your CD-ROM drive is mounted. Then do a directory command so you can see the files on your CD:
ls *.exe

Find the file that installs the program. It's usually something like INSTALL.EXE or SETUP.EXE or Autorun.exe. Run the installation file like this:
wine INSTALL.EXE

Change the name to whatever it should be; Linux is case sensitive. That should start the installation process. Accept the defaults. The program will be installed in the "fake Windows" Drive C of your user Wine directory (~/.wine), frequently in the /drive_c/Program Files directory.

When the installation completes, you can unmount the CD-ROM drive and remove the CD. Then find the Windows .exe file that starts the program. I like to switch to that directory and then type
wine i_view32.exe
at the prompt. (That's just an example. Use the name of the proper exe file for your program.) If the program starts successfully, that's great. If you get error messages, note what they say. Sometimes you can make adjustments with /usr/local/bin/winecfg (or whatever the correct path for winecfg is on your system). Once everything it set up, you can add an icon for starting your program  The path may look something like this:
wine "/home/me/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/IrfanView/i_view32.exe"

It's actually quite simple once you've done it a few times.

I have it working just fine, exept for wine cant run all the stuff I would want it to run (I cant get it to install stuff from CD's) so I have to install windows (or get wine working...)

I do hope you know that there's no assurance Wine can run the Windows programs you want to run. Some programs may run almost perfectly. Some may not run at all. Some may run after lots of tweaking. Some may run okay but not as well as you'd like. So be prepared to be disappointed.

Got windows working now... I just placed XP CD in CD drive right after installing VL... Turned monitor and restarted it. (Just turning off the monitor didnt seem to do anything

If Windows is installed after VectorLinux, Windows will clobber the VL boot loader. You can fix this later or start VL from a floppy disk (if you have a floppy drive) or from the VL installation CD.

Let us know what you're able to run under Wine.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: