VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: upgrade  (Read 1948 times)

OU812

• Vectorite
upgrade
« on: June 27, 2007, 11:21:44 pm »

Hello. Just for fun - seriously - I launched gslapt and chose to upgrade all packages (except, of course, blacklisted packages). Everything seemed fine until I rebooted. Now, all of the boot images are messed up in some way. For example, there was no grub image. That was easy to fix: modify menu.lst from "menu.xpm" to "menu-grub.xpm". A similar issue occured when loggin in: I got the message that "/opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/themes/GlassLights-SOHO" could not be found. Of course not, the needed folder is "/opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/GlassLights-SOHO". What happened? How do I fix these problems? Thanks.

john

P.S. Also, sometimes I click the kmenu button and click the desktop to close the menu, and a black box is where the menu just was. If I click the menu and the desktop again, problem solved. How about a permanent solution? I think this is related to the upgrade.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:30:13 pm »

I recommend you to reinstall your system.....
a full system upgrade using gslapt or slapt-get will crash your system....
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 11:49:40 pm by hata_ph »

OU812

• Vectorite
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 11:35:56 pm »

I suppose that might work, but I won't do it until I have finished my experiments. VL is near-perfect for me: I got all of my apps installed. Now I just need to figure out how to solve some sound system problems and figure out how to do upgrades and this one (vl soho 5.8) is a keeper. Thanks.

john

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:39:46 pm »

I recommend you to reinstall your system.....
a system upgrade using gslapt or slapt-get will crash your system....
No, this is fixable. I personally wouldn't upgrade all, I stay with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset.

This post might help you solve the issue with the glasslight thing:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3072.msg18748#msg18748
If it doesn't, search the forum on glasslight, there were more posts about this.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.