VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 09:02:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox question  (Read 3115 times)
skinnum

« on: June 28, 2007, 12:40:27 pm »

When entering a web site name in navigation toolbar firefox will fill in the prefix & sufix. example enter google and firefox will
add www and .com. While in 5.8 soho it will not fill in complete www and .com
any ideas.
Thanks
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 12:56:23 pm »

In SeaMonkey, there are settings for that in the preferences. Can't say about Firefox though.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 02:46:53 pm »

Apparently in Firefox you have to do this in about:config.

Wherever I use quotation marks in the following lines, make sure to omit them when actually entering something, e.g. for "about:config" you just enter about:config.

So, open a tab and type in "about:config" in the address field (where www.google.com or whatever usually goes).

Then enter "browser.fixup.alternate.enabled" in the "Filter" field.  Only that line will appear, and under "Value" it should say "true".  If it says "false"  double click that line, which will change it to "true."

Next in the "Filter" field enter "browser.fixup.alternate.prefix".  This should have "www." under "Value."  If it doesn't, double click the line, a box will appear where you should enter "www." (make sure to enter the ".").

Next in the "Filter" field enter "browser.fixup.alternate.suffix".  This should have ".com" under "Value."  If it doesn't, double click the line and enter ".com"
I hope this helps.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
skinnum

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 03:47:41 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, All settings in About:config were correct so no change.
In the status bar it says looking up (whatever you interred.)
Seamonkey does the same.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 04:39:31 pm »

skinnum, sorry my post didn't help.  I don't have any other suggestions; I have no idea what the problem could be.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am will come along with a solution.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 05:24:39 pm »

When entering a web site name in navigation toolbar firefox will fill in the prefix & sufix. example enter google and firefox will
add www and .com. While in 5.8 soho it will not fill in complete www and .com
any ideas.
Thanks

If the address is a www.somesite.com, you can write
somesite
in the Firefox address box and then hit Control-Enter. Firefox will add the www and the .com. If it's a .net address, you can hit Shift-Enter to complete it. If it's a .org, Control-Shift-Enter will complete it.

For more keyboard shortcuts, see Help menu, Help Contents, and scroll down to Keyboard Shortcuts.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
skinnum

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 10:30:29 am »

Thanks a lot
That does work
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 01:42:42 pm »

Thanks Granny good one.
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 12:17:22 pm »

Thanks, GrannyGeek, for giving an answer to skinnum's question which I didn't know.

I don't want to be a pest about this, but the original question is still unanswered.  In my 5.8 Std. install Firefox will automatically add www. and .com if I type in, for example, "google" without any keyboard shortcuts.  For skinnum this doesn't work in 5.8 SOHO even though the about:config settings are correct.

I realize that this is a very minor issue but I'm curious if anybody else out there is having this occur, and if we can find out what the cause is.

If not, no big deal, because as I said it's a very minor issue.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 03:16:44 pm »

I use 5.8 Standard, not SOHO, so I have no clue about how Firefox works in SOHO. In Standard, it often adds a www and .com, but sometimes it doesn't. Maybe it depends on whether I've gone to that URL before.

Does anyone know?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 04:21:04 pm »

That is a google related feature. In my VL std install, Firefox redirects me to the first place of a google search, as in the "I'm feeling lucky" button. If you look careful, you will see "waiting for www.google.com" before the redirecting. But it doesnt do it with every term. If I write "linux" I get www.linux.org, but if I write "banana" I get a google search results page. If I write "micro" I get a wikipedia page abot the prefix micro-, nice programming. I dont know how this work, but you can enable it setting "keyword.URL" to "http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=". "keyword.enable" must be "true" too.

EDIT: I found an article on mozillazine about this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:31:03 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 04:43:29 pm »

Well, I still can't say about Firefox, but in case it is in anyway enlightening to the issue, in SeaMonkey, the preference is in "Smart Browsing" and called "Domain Guessing". The description on the checkbox goes: "Automatically add "www." and ".com" to the location if a web page isn't found". It is a separate preference to the "Location Bar Autocomplete" stuff.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: