VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 03:57:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: This is a "good" review  (Read 6417 times)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 06:01:37 pm »

Heh, we have a similar system at our Institute, "trae la tiñosa, pero con la jaula..." (bring the vulture, but also bring the cage to put it in...)... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 08:00:52 pm »

Well, as Kocil and saulgoode have pointed out there are some validities to the author's comments but only insofar as the VL developers/community wants to abide by them. The standard for VL is not primarily to be compatable with any other distro except Slackware and even with that there are many exceptions thus making VL unique. Have I missed the point?

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 08:59:31 pm »

Have I missed the point?
No.
I think the main point is that we should learn whenever we get the chance

Uelsk8s
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 10:20:59 pm »

This was the authors response to my contact.
Darrell

Hi,

Just one comment: the web pages to which you refer are not reviews, but
journal entries. There is difference.

Thanks for stopping by.

Darrell Anderson

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 10:54:41 pm »

Reviews and journal entries are both opinions, and opinions can be sucky opinions. There's the commonality.  Angry

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 01:09:56 am »

I read this forum first and then read the journal entry, going back and forth between his previous entry on Vector (3.2) and his comments on Xfce.  I can see where he is coming from, but clearly his requirements are also very very specific, and as others have commented I doubt if any distro would completely satisfy him.   However he makes some valid points that are we should look at, and these have been well documented by others.  Reviews like this aren't applicable to our target audience, yet we can still learn from them.  I suspect we will.  Having said that I did find the tone patronising and very unhelpful.  But then this is a blog rather than a proper review and blogging seems to bring the worst out of people.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 11:55:16 am by Lyn » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 07:18:15 am »

blogging seems to bring the worst out of people.

Exactly. He choose wrong words when he could use another ones to say the same. But I am glad to see the VL community has a good attitude about the critics. I think there is no need to answer every bad review or journal or whatever, "ladran Sancho, señal que cabalgamos..."

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 06:37:57 pm »

Once you realize that he's writing a blog/journal, his quirky opinions become less exasperating. We all like what we like. I have really disliked Ubuntu when I've tried it with a LiveCD, and yet it's the current "hot" Linux distro. There's just no accounting for or arguing with someone's taste.

I found it rather odd that someone interested enough to be undertaking a continuing blog on many aspects of Linux would have a computer with a flaky CD-ROM drive. I mean, you can't cough up $40 for a piece of essential equipment?Huh And why is he sticking with such loser hardware? "Considering that my testing box is a 'measly' 350 MHz PII Deschutes with 'only' 256 MB of RAM and a 'puny' 40 GB hard drive"--I call that a doorstop. If he's impoverished, okay--you have no choice but to do the best you can with what you have. But if he's not, I wonder what priority he assigns to computing.

I also scratched my head at his XFce problem of no system sounds. To that I can only say "thank goodness." I detest those clicks, pops, and dings. Whether Windows or Linux, system sounds are one of the first things I turn off. But as I already said, it's a blog and if he likes them, he likes them.

Nevertheless, we shouldn't overlook the things he criticizes. Finding out what someone dislikes about the distro helps us improve if we see merit in the criticism.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 12:27:33 am »

I also scratched my head at his XFce problem of no system sounds. To that I can only say "thank goodness." I detest those clicks, pops, and dings. Whether Windows or Linux, system sounds are one of the first things I turn off. But as I already said, it's a blog and if he likes them, he likes them.
Yes, I was bewildered by that too... Shocked.

Well, blog or not, it's really the contradictions that get me. Makes it all sound pretty close to "on purpose". Plus it rates as a review on our DW page... Roll Eyes

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 12:58:29 pm »

I emailed DW to have it removed as a review as in the authors own opinion it is not a review but a journal entry. Will see what happens.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 06:42:02 pm »

After surfing the web for clues, I began to wonder whether I could install directly from the ISO image. There is a script included with the distro called vinstall-iso. I’m no shell scripting expert and the best I could garnish from reviewing that script is the program installs the entire ISO image. I got the feeling the script is intended more for reinstalling Vector rather than any initial installation. The documentation for the script is scant and when I read that using the script was a “piece of cake,” I knew right then that the opposite was true. I never did figure out how or when to use that script.

I don't get it.  This install was done with that script because I didn't have a fresh CD on hand to burn the ISO.  I don't recall having any problems, and I had never used the script before, nor had ever heard of it.  I just stumbled upon it when I mounted the ISO wondering how I could install it.  I do remember taking a peek into the script to see how to invoke it.  I may of looked online.  I don't remember, so it must not of been a big deal.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: