VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 11:42:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtualbox installation in Vl 5.8 SOHO  (Read 3841 times)
backwoodsbob

« on: June 29, 2007, 05:56:26 am »

I installed version 1.3.3 from the /extras repo, then found out the kernel for 5.8 standard is different from SOHO so Vbox won't install guests. Is there a version of Vbox that matches the SOHO kernel?
Also, they are downloading version 1.4. Any chance of an upgrade?
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 06:02:11 am »

There is a directory is /usr/src called "virtualbox" (or something like that). Inside there, there are instructions to compile a kernel module for SOHO.

I am thinking of compiling VirtualBox 1.4 and making a package for the repo, since 1.3.3 really sucked. I might only be able to get down to that next week though.

backwoodsbob

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 08:58:58 am »

Many thanks for the quick response. It worked like a charm. The script was in /usr/src/vbox-kmod.
Eagerly waiting the update as the Innotek website seems quite hyped about 1.4 improvements.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:28:03 am »

I haven't tried the linux version of 1.4 yet (hopefully this weekend) but the Win version is quite an improvement over the 1.3.x set.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
backwoodsbob

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 05:38:10 pm »

Wink As an update on this topic and fyi, I have managed to get VirtualBox 1.4.0 running under 5.8 SOHO.
After hours of frustration trying everything in the book, loading libs, etc, I downloaded the .run version
and instead of ./ VirtualBox-Linux-1.4.0.run install /opt/innotek/VirtualBox as the instuctions say I prefaced the line with perl minus the ./
and lo and behold it installed itself as described in the manual. It's like;ly all my other efforts had installed the
right dependencies, and the moon was in the right phase, but it worked for me.
Now I have to deal with a whole new set of problems getting the programmes I want to work in their guest system,
but that's another story.
If this helps anyone pass it on.
Cheers
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 10:12:13 pm »

Cool to hear you have it working!!  Wink

I'm working on a VirtualBox 1.4 package, but since I'm compiling it from source, it will be a while until its done anyway.

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 07:16:25 pm »

I have recently loaded VirtualBox 1.4.0 and it "feels" like it's more responsive than VMware 1.0.3. I haven't used it too much yet though.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:13:49 pm »

I have recently loaded VirtualBox 1.4.0 and it "feels" like it's more responsive than VMware 1.0.3. I haven't used it too much yet though.

Oh, yeah! It also compiles in a *much* smaller space of time than 1.3.x used to, so I presume Innotech did some serious code cleaning. And it does run a lot smoother too.

I will probably have a package ready for the repo by the end of the week, though unfortunately the open source edition of VisrtualBox has some "brain-damages" that the proprietary version doesn't, such as lack of usb support...

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 03:25:00 am »

unfortunately the open source edition of VisrtualBox has some "brain-damages" that the proprietary version doesn't, such as lack of usb support...

Yea, it's because of those extra features that I'm using the proprietary binaries at the moment.
Mostly, the mouse integration... that really facilitates things. Plus, usb support, shared folders, and shared clipboard.

The Open Source Edition is very alright, but to me the mouse doesn't feel smooth enough.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: