VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:24:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not much participation in Vector forums..  (Read 2430 times)
Jerry
Vectorite

« on: June 30, 2007, 06:12:35 am »

..there doesn't seem to be a lot of posting going on, I see only 4 or 5 registered members logged
in most of the time. 

Is that because nobody's having problems to post about?  Well, heck, post about how great things
are going then. Cheesy

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 07:08:53 am »

hmm, may be is because of the time zone. Actually, I see the forum reached the record of 191 users online recently.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:01:51 am »

hmm, may be is because of the time zone. Actually, I see the forum reached the record of 191 users online recently.

When was there 191 users online (do you mean registered members or guest "drop ins?")?

I really do think low forum usage at a popular distro has to do with fewer problems to query about.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 06:40:37 pm »

Please--I usually check in once a day and I always have two pages to read. If I miss a day I have three. Enough, already!! How much message reading can one person handle? That does not seem like "not much participation" to me.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 11:11:58 pm »

I think you're right there GrannyGeek. For a while I took part in the Ubuntu forums, which are extremely busy. You can post a message there, and a few hours later it's several pages down the list and fast disappearing from view.

Eric
t'web

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 12:39:22 am »

There are several good reasons to explain that...first ubuntu is much more popular than Vector.You may want to consult Distrowatch.com for a list of the most popular distributions.
Second...VectorLinux works 'out of the box' like a charm...no further questions required.

For the Dutch speaking people...I just made a little publicity for vector on a popular Dutch linux forum...by the way (t'web) is my other nick in cyberworld.
http://alleslinux.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5853&highlight=vector

ps.can someone please check my English to...so I can learn?
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 01:42:19 am »

I've also noticed that there seems to be a peak right after a new release comes out (VL 5.8 Standard, then SOHO, or the first Release Candidate of something, etc), which then drops off somewhat until the next major release.  If this is correct, it's probably because people have more questions right at the beginning and then fewer as they get things worked out.

I still see a fairly high level of activity in the forums most of the time though.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
roseway
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 04:18:17 am »

There are several good reasons to explain that...first ubuntu is much more popular than Vector.You may want to consult Distrowatch.com for a list of the most popular distributions.

Thank you, but I did know that of course. Smiley

The point I was trying to make was that if a forum becomes too busy it can become almost impossible to follow the threads because they disappear off the screen so quickly. A quieter forum like this can be more effective because issues don't get lost in the crowd.

Eric
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: