Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Can't Install Vector VMWare Fusion (virtual scsi) -Won't Take scsi Kernel Option  (Read 4934 times)

DrCR

• Vectorite
Just got in my MacBook Pro. Time to start playing. :D Going to be tricky trying to setup native quad booting with OSX, XP, Vista, and Linux, but that's a different project.

I have VMWare Fusion RC1 installated and start to install Vector 5.8SOHO. I press Fn-F1 to choose a scsi kernel option, but it won't take scsi nor scsi2. Something about not being found if I'm not mistaken. What gives? Any insight? Probably just me and my noobishness lol. :)

Thanks,
DrCR
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:01:41 am by DrCR »

roseway

• Packager
  • Vectorite
I found the same problem when I tried to install VL5.8 in VMware Server (which presents the virtual drives as SCSI by default). I thought it was a VMware problem at the time, but maybe not.
Eric

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
Same problem here, so I just set the vm up as an IDE drive, problem gone.
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
I use refit to boot linux on my powermac http://refit.sourceforge.net/

DrCR

• Vectorite
Hum, there doesn't  didn't see a way to setup ide in Fusion via the gui -- hard drive options are greyed out. Not sure if it's a pre-release thing or what. Digging into the cl tools right now.

As for running native OSes..
uelsk8s, does rEFIt have a hide command like grub? Here's, for example, how I'm using Grub hide/unhide on my PC.

title WindowsXP (on /dev/hda1)
unhide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,1)

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
#
title WinTesting (on /dev/hda2)
unhide (hd0,1)
hide (hd0,0)

rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

DrCR
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:03:04 am by DrCR »

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
As for running native OSes..
uelsk8s, does rEFIt have a hide command like grub?
DrCR

I dont think it does, but im not sure.

Uelsk8s

DrCR

• Vectorite
Bummer, looks I got my work cut out for me to do what I want to do natively. Hum, just found a comment by a user in this ubuntu thread that apparently uses bootcamp, rEFIt, and Grub.  :o

As for the virtual setup via Fusion, is there no way to make Vector play with vmware's virtual scsi? Apparently there is a significant performance difference from what I read.

DrCR

• Vectorite
Grub on EFI Intel product can be done.

rEFIt - Myths and Facts About Intel Macs
For triple-booting you’ll get only one item in the built-in chooser, but you can use GRUB, LILO, or NTLDR to act as a second-level menu to choose between Windows and Linux.

Just how to do it is the question now. :)

Not word on getting Vector to install on vmware's virtual scsi?

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
there is only 1 kernel in 5.8 SOHO.
did you try using it (just hitting enter at boot)?

DrCR

• Vectorite
If I press F1 (in my case Fn F1) it doesnt let me select a scsi option. If I just press enter, and then enter again at the VL install, I end up with:

Excuse me. I cannnot find any hard disk for instalation.
Maybe you are using a new technology my author didn't have.
Sorry, but I'm outta here
???

A way around this is to create a virtual machine, don't install the OS yet, go to settings, add an ide hard drive using the +/- buttons in the lower left-hand corner*, delete the scsi drive created by default with a vm creation, and then install VL. But would be nice if VL could install on the default virtual scsi drive.

*would post a screenshot, but I don't know of a Photo Filtre equivalent for Mac OS.  :-\