VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 05:59:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a new user from croatia  (Read 1496 times)
fukodlak

« on: July 06, 2007, 01:33:50 pm »

hi everybody.

usually i use only pclinuxos (for almost 2 years now) and i was quite satisfied with it.

however, from time to time i try something new and i read vector linux so decided to give it a try.

that was fast!
however some things are quite different so i need help.

in pclinuxos there is apt-get and synaptic

in vector there is gslapt.
however in pclinuxos there is one repository, in vector linux i have vector repository, slackware repository, and linuxpackages.net (and who know what else...)

if i put all of them in, i get multiple choices for same packages to install, and it's all confusing.

and why it won't upgrade to kde 3.5.7. with gslapt? it doesn't even show me kde 3.5.7. in linuxpackages.net repository, and i know it's there.

can i upgrade vector 5.8 install with slackware 12.0 repository?

and what is that story with dependencies? are they included or not? seems like they are but not very precise. i installed something with missing dependencies (gslapt told me they are missing) and program worked.

i need k9copy package, where can i find it?

sorry for so many questions, but when you move from pclinuxos, it's almost like you move from windows. that's a compliment to pclinuxos, however i'm really interested in speed vector gives me.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:16:46 pm »

I don't know the answers to most of your questions, but k9copy is in the 'testing' repository.

That would be here:  http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/testing or here:  http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/testing.  The actual package is in the /kde directory, but I don't think you need to add that as part of your sources.

You can add one or both of these sources using Gslapt (Edit -> Preferences, then add the source at the SOURCE= field, click Add, you will be prompted to update).  Or you can add the source manually by editing your sources file in /etc/slapt-get (the file is "slapt-getrc").

I wouldn't recommend upgrading VL 5.8 from the Slackware 12 repository, but I'm no expert on these matters, so I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 05:00:36 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
fukodlak

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 12:42:50 am »

imagine that...

most of the problems were from 5.8 rc3 that i downloaded from official vector website.

however, on distrowatch, there is a link to download final version, and i did, and i works now without a problem

thanks for k9copy information
and, i am so impatient, so i'm upgrading from slackware 12.0 repository, and from the linuxpackages.net repository. after all, if vector is based on slackware, and slackware is so robust, stable and unbreakable, there should be no problems.
we'll see.
i'll post after upgrade.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 05:31:31 am »

i am so impatient, so i'm upgrading from slackware 12.0 repository, and from the linuxpackages.net repository. after all, if vector is based on slackware, and slackware is so robust, stable and unbreakable, there should be no problems.
I wouldn't bet for anything that you care about (like your life or immortal soul) on that. Sounds like a recipe for a disaster to me.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: