VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 04:18:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELLO  (Read 3388 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: July 05, 2007, 10:55:18 pm »

Hi guys and girls,

I am a vector 5.8 fan. I have but don't much like Vector soho (may as well use fedora or some such).  So my admiration of 5.8.  But a couple of comments:

First, sometimes, on some mahines, 5.8 simply doesn't load right.  I have soho on one of my business machine for this reason and don't like it.

Secondly wifi-radar is fickle on 5.8.  I have lost the icon on Network so I have to go to root on a terminal to use it and is still doesn't work right.  Therefore I generally use wifi-connect, which works fine if you know the Essid.

But generally and specifically I love 5.8. It is a dream come true. Simple.  Rock solid.  What more could anyone want? I am getting every I know on it.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 05:42:03 pm »

Hm...not sure what the poll is for.

Anyway, enjoy Vector Linux.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 06:22:42 am »

Welcome!

Hm...not sure what the poll is for.

Anyway, enjoy Vector Linux.

Me neither, but I voted number two, just in case.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:04:00 am »

I voted for 2 also.  So far it's winning by a landslide.

Welcome to Vector Linux lawquest!

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 08:01:13 am »

No idea what the poll is for either, why it showed up, or what it means.  Must have done something. 

John

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 03:05:12 pm »

First, sometimes, on some mahines, 5.8 simply doesn't load right.  I have soho on one of my business machine for this reason and don't like it.

Could you give some details on this? "Doesn't load right" doesn't tell us much.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
keyfitter

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 01:31:59 pm »

Load right as in booting up, or install right?. I have had problems with 5.8 hanging during the install. Thats usually during the hardware configuration, while it is searching for a modem.

When that happens, I simply push the computer reset button and the installation completes on the second try.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 05:02:51 pm »

... I have had problems with 5.8 hanging during the install. Thats usually during the hardware configuration, while it is searching for a modem.

I've never seen that problem myself, and I have loaded VL on at least 200 different machines by now. I find a hang during install usually means a hardware fault in about 90% of cases, the other 10% of the time it is a faulty CD platter or bad CD burn.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 05:20:10 pm »

I had that issue before whith my old USRobotic external serial modem. It happens if the modem rom is not setted up properly for a unix system (according to the manufacturer manuals). Usually a CTRL+C solves the problem, no need to reboot. I go on with the install and I configure my modem later with VASM, once the rom is fixed with several switches my modem has in the case.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 05:46:51 am »

Sorry about my very general "doesn't load right" language. I should have said it didn't load right on an HP Omnibook 900 and a 5 year old Compaq desktop.  I will have to wait to give further details on the HP as it is now up in Canada with my girlfriend's son, not to return for a month.  I have loaded it on other HP Omnibook 900s with no problem so I shouldn't have even brought that up as it is almost certainly some kind of a problem with the machine itself. In fact I am writing this on an Omnibook 900 running Vector 5.8 perfectly. 

As to the Compaq though, my Mother's computer, I think I am right.  It just wouldn't run right after loading.   Way too slow.  Nothing I could do. I finally replaced it with another computer and it ran fine.  Don't know how better to describe it.  I had the hard drive divided into three partitions as usual, one swap, one for Vector and programs, and other for data.  Formatted with reiserfs.  1028 swap drive. 10g programs. 20+ data. Installed fine (or seemed to) but just took forever to load programs after the install. Programs worked fine after finally loading. No clue.  Still have the machine so if anyone has ideas, great.

For some reason, I suspect the problem with both these machines was a formatting problem.  I used to have directions on a way to use fdisk to completely rid the hard drive, including the master boot record, of all vestiges of windows but can't find them anymore.

John

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 03:20:59 pm »

First if a machine runs slow it is usually RAM or Hard drive.

Formating:

http://www.killdisk.com/

Works pretty well.

Bigpaws
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 06:50:05 pm »

As to the Compaq though, my Mother's computer, I think I am right.  It just wouldn't run right after loading.   Way too slow.  Nothing I could do. I finally replaced it with another computer and it ran fine.  Don't know how better to describe it.  I had the hard drive divided into three partitions as usual, one swap, one for Vector and programs, and other for data.  Formatted with reiserfs.  1028 swap drive. 10g programs. 20+ data. Installed fine (or seemed to) but just took forever to load programs after the install. Programs worked fine after finally loading. No clue.  Still have the machine so if anyone has ideas, great.

Did that Compaq do UDMA? If it did and Vector wasn't using it on the hard drive, that might explain the slowness. UDMA can make a huge difference.

hdparm -d /dev/hda

is the command for finding out whether the drive is using dma. Use the proper /dev name for your own computer, of course.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 11:26:06 pm »

Thanks for the udma suggestion.  May take a while to try it out though as I just have the box now. No monitor, no keyboard.

John

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: