VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 03:23:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: login as root  (Read 2075 times)
ramesh

« on: July 06, 2007, 03:47:46 am »

Hi all

I activated auto login for user.  But how to login as root for obtaining administrative privileges ? Thanks in advance.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 06:23:15 am »

Are you using KDE?  I believe there is a "log off" menu entry in there somewhere that will allow you to log off the user, then you can log in to root from there.  Heck,  I think there is a "switch user" menu entry as well.  I can't remember for certain as I'm not using KDE these days.

If you are using XFCE you just hit the "quit" entry and when the dialog window opens, you click "log out".

There are also command line options available to you if those things don't work.  Good luck!
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 06:39:39 am »

better yet, open a terminal, type 'su'-Enter, enter password at prompt, and you're now root.  Administer your system as needed and then type 'exit' when you're done to log off of root.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 06:47:58 am »

Quote from: newtor
better yet, open a terminal, type 'su'-Enter, enter password at prompt, and you're now root.  Administer your system as needed and then type 'exit' when you're done to log off of root.
You will only have root's powers in that terminal though, not in the entire system. I use this a lot. Safety guru's will also advice strongly against running X as root, but I don't think the risk is high for home users.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
ramesh

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 08:51:31 am »

Autologin directly takes to users desktop.

Not able to login as root.  Not able to save changes to kdmrc file [ removing the # at the beginning of the line #AutologinEnable=true]

How to gain root acces ?  Please help  Thanks in advance
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 09:28:06 am »

Find the menu entry for "file manager (superuser)"  or something like that.  It might be found under "system".

That will give you a koqueror file manager with root privileges so you can edit files, delete them to your hearts content.  From there you can easily edit that file.

You can also toast your system so be careful what you do while using it.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 09:36:50 am »

Doh! Just  noticed you are using 5.8 Standard by reading your other thread.

If you want to edit that file in a comfortable way.  You do something kind of like my last post.

Click the "Vector" button on the taskbar.  Then "system", then  "Thunar File Manager (root)".

Enter your root password, and a file manager with a red strip will pop up.  Then navigate to /home/username/.

You may have to click "View" then "Show Hidden Files" to see the rc file.  Double clicking the file should open Mousepad.

Edit the file, save it then get out of the file manager before you forget your in it and get yourself in a mess.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:19:16 pm »

Quote from: newtor
You will only have root's powers in that terminal though, not in the entire system. I use this a lot. Safety guru's will also advice strongly against running X as root, but I don't think the risk is high for home users.

headacher is correct, you will only have root power within the terminal, however you can easily start and application and root power will be passed on.  For instance, in a terminal switch to root, and then start thunar ('thunar &') - thunar will open; you will have root power; and the '&' option will still allow you to run more commands from the original terminal.  That's how I typically do it Cheesy
ramesh

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 07:26:18 pm »

Dear vectorite,

Your suggestion worked fine  - Thanks a lot
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: