VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 01:19:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: serial port modem in VL 5.8 [SOLVED]  (Read 7964 times)
Trio3b

« on: July 06, 2007, 06:47:18 pm »

New to vector. Am used to kppp, but I have read the xisp howto but no luck. Anyone here familiar with xisp?

I have set device to ttyS0 and  inserted phone #,login name, password. init is ATZ.

xisp exits with error 1 meaning some fatal error. anyhelp appreciated.

I am able to 'net connect via eth0,  but I need to learn how to configure dialup for someone.

[update] I have written a howto for wvdial on VL5.8 here->http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3671.0

Thanks

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:14:42 pm by Trio3b » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:10:28 pm »

irrc 5.1 uses wvdial.

http://open.nit.ca/wiki/index.php?page=WvDial

That is the website.

HTH

Bigpaws
Trio3b

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 07:42:48 pm »

Version in /etc/vector-version shows 5.1.

I seem to only have xisp.  I have used wvdial before. I don't think this is it.
Trio3b

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 10:05:08 pm »

Well, installed VL 5.8 std. This time dialer is chestnut. No luck here either. wvdial is not here either. (looked for it in gslapt)
 This is really unfortunate as I have tried numerous distros on older hdwr and have found VL to be blinding fast on two little PCs (300 and 533 mhz Celerons w/128mb RAM.).  VL is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

Since I am looking for a distro for really old hdwr I was very excited until now as dialup seems to be an issue. I can connect via eth0, but many users of older hdwr will likely be dialup users. Also, around here broadband is scarce.

Although I am no expert, I have setup numerous external serial port modems with no problems and I am fairly familiar with configurations ( device settings, init strings, etc.)  in Kppp and many of them are present in xisp and chestnut but still no luck...

I got a little further with xisp as you have to rename the xisp_modem file to xisp_ttyS0, but now chat returns with exit=3 status. Apparently the expect string is looking for a substring. In this I have no experience.

Am familiar with Puppy and DSL but VL XFCE is a much more familiar interface to most users.

Unfortunately this is going to be a deal breaker for VL.

dang....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 10:13:00 pm by Trio3b » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 06:10:20 am »

hi, I have some experience with dial-up and is a little tricky. I found some programs work rigth with /dev/ttyS0 as device, but others need /dev/modem, which should be a symlink to the proper device. The VL installer should make this symlink auto. You can try again with vasm to set your modem again.
I think wvdial is the best soft around to do this, and it has great config tools. There is a package on the extra repo. To enable this repo you need to add this line to your /etc/slapt-getrc file as root, with the text editor of your choice:

Code:
SOURCE=ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/extra/

There is a frontend too. Once installed, you need to run wvdialconf once as root.
Let us know how is going.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 07:24:12 am »

I have found chestnut-dialer to work well and pretty easy to set up. Can you elaborate on your problems with it?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Trio3b

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 01:09:58 pm »

I can get back to you later about the specific issues. Just wanted to let you know that I have tried 5.1 and 5.8 on two separate PCs with two separate modems (actiontec and supraexpress) on two different phone lines so I am ruling out the PCs, modems, and phone lines as it is unlikely for both in each set of those to be bad.

Please don't go away. I will be back shortly. I really would like to get VL into my inventory.

Thanks
Trio3b

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 08:07:08 pm »

In chestnut error is:

connection terminated
reason: unknown termination.

Have setup modem using vasm noticed it said no modem detected but I assumed this meant PCI.
tried

/dev/modem
/dev/ttyS0,1,2

dmesg | grep tty shows:

serial8250 ttyS0 at I/O ox3f8 (IRQ=4) is a 16550A

have tried too many combinations on all configuration tabs to list here. Is there a VL module I need to load?

On to wvdialer:
Installed wvdialer and qtwvdialer
running wvdialconf on modems tab page shows ALL ttyS0,1,2,3 port resources busy.

Have checked in BIOS but there seems to be no place to check if these are available. Appaerntly the devices are locked up .

This may explain problems with xisp and chestnut, but why on the other PC as well? Any ideas?

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 10:37:19 pm by Trio3b » Logged
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 08:11:07 am »

Trio,

In looking through this thread, I'm surprised that nobody asked whether the serial service is being loaded at startup. By default, VL does NOT load the serial port service at startup. (BTW, the installer part of VASM gives the "no modem detected" for external serial modems, so it's "working as designed.") However, you can use VASM -> SUPER (root password) -> SERVICE -> HWSET -> SERIAL to ensure that it is loading. If the service doesn't load, no serial modem will work on VL 5.x.

Assuming that the serial service is being loaded, try using one of the dialers again. You may need to add yourself to the tty group so that you can access the modem if the modem dialer isn't set to run with suid root privileges. I'm a bit pressed for time, so I can't elaborate further at this point.

HTH a bit more.

John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Trio3b

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 10:14:14 am »

Have tried setting PCI bus to several other IRQ settings in BIOS - no luck
running wvdialconf from GUI or as root from terminal indicates all ttyS0 ports busy

neither /etc/wvdial nor /home/user/wvdialconf.tmp is available. (assuming it's because ports are not available)
serial is setup at boot in VASM

running kppp via a knoppix disk and modem returns no info so it appears there may be a BIOS setting or IRQ conflict I'm not seeing, unless the mainboard serial port itself is damaged.

Will keep posted....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 10:21:37 am by Trio3b » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 11:12:01 am »

I think is too soon to play with IRQs, you should take easy shots first.
We forgot to ask what kind of modem are you using too. Could you tell us the exact make and model? What kind of serial conection it uses? In which port?
I used to use a UsRobotics external serial modem, and it wont work if I dont set it up in the rigth way with some switches it has in the case.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Trio3b

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 05:53:35 pm »

Actiontec 560LKA serial port modem

I have used this particular modem many times with mandriva, fedora, Kanotix, Mepis, PCLOS, SAM linux.

Kppp does all configuration. just enter login name and password. Set device to ttyS0, lower connect speed to 57k and this thing works everytime. I have noticed that in general if modem query in kppp returns no info  then there is trouble but so far not with this modem.....but back to 5.8 and wvdial...

I don't think this is a modem problem as wvdial continues to show ttyS0,1,2,3 are all busy, with or without the modem connected and/or turned on.

I have setserial /dev/ttyS0 as root and output shows what appears to be device configured using IRQ4 which is all by itself. Graphics USB, etc are all IRQ 3,5,11. Also, there do not seem to be any settings in BIOS to select plug n play or auto select. Although I can select some IRQ settings, Im wondering if during install, VL grabbed IRQ needed by serial to use somewhere else. OR....
I'm wondering if the serial port is damaged on this PC. THis is the first time I'v had this much trouble.

hope this helps
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:09:14 pm by Trio3b » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 06:16:42 pm »

I don't see any reply to JohnB316's explanation, did you actually check what he mentioned?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Trio3b

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 07:01:56 pm »

serial is set to init at boot
port is set via setserial
user is added to tty group
have run wvdialconf as user and as root via CL

wvdialconf reports device or resource is busy.

Removed Chestnut dialer so as not to conflict with wvdial..same problem

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 07:03:28 pm by Trio3b » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 07:14:08 pm »

well the only thing I can suggest is to possibly check the /var/log/messages file with "tail -f" when you run wvdialconf and see if it tells you anything. Other than that are you sure the correct module is loaded for that modem? You can get the scamModem tool here ( http://132.68.73.235/linmodems/index.html#scanmodem) to ensure you are getting the correct chipset modem driver. Then use "lsmod" to see what driver has actually been loaded. I would then run "minicom" to see if you can actually communicate with the modem via the command line.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: