VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 12:32:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd shutdown behavior  (Read 4117 times)
Jerry
Vectorite

« on: July 07, 2007, 08:07:35 am »

Last night something started happening on shutdown that I have not seen in
Vector SOHO 5.8 since I installed it:  when I shut it down it got to a point in
the text scrolling by where it said, "power down," and stopped there instead
of turning the machine off as usual.

The oddest thing is that the power button did nothing.  I ended up having
to remove the battery.  Shocked

I have been fiddling with the suspend and standby settings in power control,
so I tried resetting it back to the defaults there.  But the behavior continues.

It's not a huge deal, but I would like to learn how to control that aspect of
the shutdown sequence, and also I'd like to learn why it has started behaving
this way.

PCLinuxOS used to do this on my pc (not this Acer Aspire 5610z laptop) and
I never did learn how to cause the shutdown sequence to automatically turn
off the machine.

Help would be appreciated. Smiley

- Jerry
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:17:34 am »

The oddest thing is that the power button did nothing.  I ended up having
to remove the battery.  Shocked
This leads me to suspect a hardware or BIOS config issue.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 01:15:15 pm »

Thanks, Joe.

Hey, I have a sneakin' suspicion it's from overheating.  I was using the laptop in a way
that one should not use a laptop:  sitting on a pillow on my lap.  I put the pillow there
to get the keyboard up a little higher for comfort while I was in my chair in front of
the TV. 

The hard drive and memory chamber heat up big time when there's no way for the
heat to dissipate other than the small vents on the side and back.  Also the fan
was not able to blow heat out of the bottom. 

I am not going to put the machine through that again just to test and see if it
overheats, but Vector is behaving normally now on shut down as I use it the way it's
meant to be used:  sitting on its little feet with plenty of ventilation room down there.

-- Jerry
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 01:16:51 pm by jerrybasham » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 03:30:54 pm »

Hey, I have a sneakin' suspicion it's from overheating.  I was using the laptop in a way
that one should not use a laptop:  sitting on a pillow on my lap.  I put the pillow there
to get the keyboard up a little higher for comfort while I was in my chair in front of
the TV. 

Look around for an inexpensive lap desk. I found one for less than ten dollars US at a drug store that sells lots of other merchandise. My lap desk has a pillow covered by a hard plastic surface on the top. This raises the laptop a couple of inches and the plastic surface lets the laptop sit on it so that there is air space under the laptop and the fans are not blocked.

I use my laptop on the lap desk for several hours every evening while I sit in a rocking chair with my feet up and do my e-mail, forums, and Web browsing.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 04:39:40 pm »

"lap desk"

Heading for google now.   Wink
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 05:28:57 pm »

A lap desk is just a small thing with a hard surface that you can put in your lap and use for writing letters, holding plates with food, holding notepads so you can write in them, or holding your laptop. Many of them have a soft pillow attached to the underside of the hard surface so it'll be steady in your lap.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 06:10:57 pm »

Yeah, I've used those from time to time.. most notably to serve breakfast in bed to
my wife (birthdays, aniversaries, mood elevator times..  Grin)..  but I see in google
many specialized lap desks for laptop computers, some with cooling fans, etc..  woohooo.. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: