VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 08:00:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gslapt & KDE and other stuff question  (Read 4728 times)
curchunflo

« on: July 08, 2007, 02:54:43 pm »

Hi everyone, i´m tryn to install KDE in VL 5.8 std gold using gslapt, so i update the file packages.txt but when i mark kde packages to download and install i recieve a dependency error... after a few try i decieded download kde sources from kde.org but i cant install! i have iconv (or something like this) library problems.... what i´m doing wrong??? Because i installed kde on VL 5.1 std with gslapt very easily (just marking packages in gslapt). I think 5.8 its so much better, but... i dont know how to install KDE (i prefere it and i´m a spanish speaker, KDE has a very good support in this language). Thank you very much for your help!!

ps: i try to pass VL to spanish but i dont know how to do it! last time i ask in the forum and somebody toldme edit some file, but i cant find that post (the title was "VL all in spanish?). Thank you!!!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 04:59:14 pm »

Is there a reason you want both xfce and KDE on the same system? Because if not you would probably be better to just install VL 5.8SOHO (instead of, or in addition to VL5.8 Standard). The SOHO version already has KDE completely configured for you, plus many extras such as OO, etc.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 05:30:52 pm »

Please list the error you get in gslapt. Is it that qt cannot be upgraded because it depends on mysql?
If so, make sure you have the extra repository enabled, which is where mysql is.

In gslapt, go to the "Preferences" menu and in "Sources" tab add the following path:
http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/extra/
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 07:17:51 pm »

curchunflo wrote:

"No, i only want KDE (if i cant choose better, but i prefere KDE than XFCE, and XFCE cant be translated to spanish and i need spanish!), but i have 256 ram and that is the minimum for SOHO, the minimum for gold its 128... i need a fast computer, i dont like OO because its too big and
requires too much resources, i like abiword, siag or gnumeric. Do you know what could be my problem?? Thank you ,"

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 07:21:08 pm »

If you have only 256MB of RAM then you are really pushing the envelope of usability for KDE, in my humble opinion. I know others on this forum have used KDE with 256MB, but you will have to use swap for KDE to work with any modern browser or other heavyweight application and once you start using SWAP system performance will decrease dramatically. If I were you I would either find/buy another stick of RAM or stick with VL Standard and xfce.

curchunflo

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:07:12 pm »

thanks for your help, but i cant,i live in argentina and i cant afford that. If somebody can (or want) give me a hand with this i´ll be thankfull, regards,

curchnflo
ps. i have used kde with 128 ram in VL 5.1 std and works smoothly
ps2. thank you WCS! i´ll add the source and if i have another problem will post here
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 09:09:57 pm by curchunflo » Logged
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:02:52 pm »

Wow lagagnon:
You answered your own question, not bad dude.
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 11:26:28 am »

Your best approach is still to install SOHO.  OpenOffice is an optional component.  Simply don't select it during installation and you won't get it.  AbiWord, Gnumeric, and SIAG Office are all in the extra repository in SOHO so you can install them with either gslapt or slapt-get at the command line.  For SIAG be sure to also install ispell if you want spell checking to work.

You can go into KDE's settings menu and select Spanish as your language.  For non-KDE apps, including Gnumeric and AbiWord, you will need to set some variables to es_AR for Spanish language and Argentine locale to be set as your defaults.  These can go into your .bashrc file if you want to do this on a user by user basis:

LANG=es_AR
LANGUAGE=es_AR
LC_MESSAGES=es_AR
LC_ALL=es_AR

Then export all four and you should have most everything working as you want.  If you want Unicode support change es_AR to es_AR.UTF8  This may cause problems with some older programs that don't yet support Unicode.  If you need Unicode support let us know and I'll post a few pointers to make things like man work Smiley

For Spanish spell-checking in AbiWord you will need to install aspell-es from the testing repository.  It should be moved to extra soon but it hasn't happened yet. 

If you want the system-wide default language to be Argentine Spanish do the above but also change your /etc/profile.d/lang.sh and /etc/profile.d/lang.csh files.  When you edit them just replace en_US with es_AR.

My apologies for writing this in English but my Spanish is extremely poor.  I'm sure it would make you laugh but I'm not sure you'd get your answers clearly. Grin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 11:34:38 am by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 11:47:14 am »

Hola curchunflo, que haces chabon! (Hello, curchunflo, what are you doing, dude!)

As lagagnon said (he used to work in Argentina so, dont lie to him  Grin) your sys has low ram to kde.
I think following the caitlyn suggestions, you should be fine, most of the gtk apps will be in spanish, some strings are not translated yet tho. May be you will need to go to the site of the most used apps for you, and check if there is language packs avaible. I am thinking about starting a miniproject about intenationalization of vl, to join the great effort of Cait (she packaged a lot of stuff thanks Cait!), but I have no time now  Sad.
Would be nice if you post feedback about this issue!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
curchunflo

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 02:10:26 pm »

Hi everyone! rbistolfi bien che! gracias! (i´m good buddy, thank you!) , i dont know why you are tellingme "dont lie to" lagagnon, i´m not doing it. As i say i´ve installed kde on a PIV 1.8 ghz with 128 ram with VL 5.1 std and goes well, a litle slow, but well. My question was how can i download it with gslapt, but its good to learn more every time. BTW i could help for the internationalization of VL, i dont have much idea about linux and programing but i can learn. Caitlyn i can understand all your message, so... or your english is not so bad or those that not speak a good english write it in a same way! (my english its very bad too as you can see).
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 02:13:45 pm »

i dont know why you are telling me "dont lie to" lagagnon

Just a bad joke. How is the Caitlyn suggest working?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 02:14:50 pm »

Hey Guys and Gals:
Want to see bad English? aTke the spel chek off thiis forumb.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
curchunflo

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 02:16:29 pm »

rbistolfi, its ok! now i understand it! i cant try it now because i´m downloading soho, but tomorrow i´ll install it and post the result here, thank you very much and please remember me when you decide to start the internationalization of VL. Regards,
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 02:42:10 pm »

Oh, internationalization and localization is well under way.  exeterdad and I have been working on aspell dictionaries.  I'll probably tackle ispell (emacs and SIAG) next.  We have a Dutch localized package for OpenOffice.  We have an excellent (complete?) set of KDE i18n packages.  I think pretty much all the VL packagers now build with the --with-included-gettext compilation option to include all translations available in packages.  I've packaged a number of things for Hebrew and Yiddish speakers (hspell, hspell-gui, hocr, culmus and el mar fonts, libhdate) and Python extensions to fribidi (needed for all right-to-left languages), and a Unicode aware text editor (yudit).  Someone else (I forget who) recently packaged a Unicode aware version of rxvt.

How can you help?  That's up to the developers but my suggestions would be:

1.  Translate the installer into Spanish, both the new GUI one and the text version
2.  Translate VASM into Spanish
3.  Translate VL-Hot into Spanish
4.  Documentation and manuals for VL 6.0 could also be translated into Spanish

VL has plenty of people who can build packages.  Translators... not so much.

-Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 03:04:28 pm »

If someone points where are the strings to translate located I can do it. Cait, you are doing a great job! What about the xfce desktop? Do you have any clues about how to translate the menu? I will take this job as soon as possible to me. I am comfortable with an english system, but I think will be great to VL to have full language support.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: