VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 04:49:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is zenity messed up on your box too?  (Read 4165 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« on: July 09, 2007, 08:01:16 am »

I'm working on a little widget for Xfce that I'd like to let VL users take advantage of.  I want this widget to work with a fresh install without anything extra installed or tweaked.

I want to use zenity for it since we all have it, but it's not behaving on my machine.  I'm asking for a little help testing a one liner command in a console on your box.

For those not familiar, zenity makes attractive little pop up dialogs from a simple command.  Very useful to use with scripting. 

What happens is when I attempt to make a pop up that asks a question, requiring the user to enter some text.  It works fine.  But if I make the same pop up with "suggested" text already in the input area, the pop up bombs out.

What I'm asking is for a few people to add these two commands into a console and press enter to see if it works.  That way I can tell if it's my machine or a bug in zenity in general.

This one works:
Code:
zenity --entry --text="Please enter your name"

This one fails on my machine:
Code:
zenity --entry --text="Please enter your name" --entry-text "Your Name"

On my machine I get this error:
leeh:$ zenity --entry --text="Please enter your name" --entry-text "Your Name"

GLib-ERROR **: file goption.c: line 906 (parse_arg): should not be reached
aborting...
Aborted

I'm sure I could fix this on my machine.  But I want this to work for everyone right out of the box.

Thanks in advance, Lee

PS if the the second line works for you can you tell me what VL version you are using and what version zenity is installed?
Code:
zenity --version
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:07:30 am »

I'm not at my VL machine at the moment but I'm wondering the syntax for you command.  You use an equals sign for '--text' but not for '--entry-text', is that correct or are you perhaps misssing an equals sign there?

HTH
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:14:36 am »

Just tried you examples and both work fine exactly as posted.  It even works fine when using an equals sign for '--entry-text'.  However, I think I've updated zenity from the stock version.  I'm currently using 2.14.3

HTH
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 08:21:42 am »

You may be right about the syntax.  Per manual the --entry-text does have a equals sign.  But the majority of the examples I've found on the web do not include the equals sign, or any quotes around the text for that matter.  I can't get it to work with any combinations.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 08:24:49 am »

Wanted to add (for whoever may ask) , the zenity that comes with VL 5.8 Standard Gold is:
leeh:$ zenity --version
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 08:58:09 am »

I get the same error even using
Code:
zenity --entry --text="Please enter your name" --entry-text="Your Name"

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 09:15:28 am »

Yep, I can conform the problem in a stock VL 5.8 Std.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 09:29:38 am »

Hmmmph (I'm withholding my actual thoughts as this is a G rated board).

Upgrading zenity will certainly fix it.  But that's not "out of the box".
Gonna have to go another route.

Thanks for the confirmation.  At least I know my sanity isn't too messed up.

I'll make this my official request for a updated zenity for VL6.  And a current GTKDialog (has better toys) while were at it!  Smiley
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 11:23:53 am »

It would perfectly ok if an updated zenity package is placed in the patches repo (as long as it's built on a stock 5.8 Std).

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 12:47:38 pm »

Yeah, the 2.14.3 package I built was built on 5.8 Standard.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: