VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 04:11:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Haskell  (Read 3508 times)
cintyram
Packager

« on: July 09, 2007, 01:45:08 pm »

im trying to teach myself haskell.  Seems to be a very beautiful language:)
but i can already say that it will take a long time before i can say that i have learnt anything useful:)

are there other VL folks who like/know Haskell?
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:11:34 pm »

I think hanumizzle is into haskell.

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 03:06:18 pm »

I had to Google it.  lol
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 08:08:16 am »

I think hanumizzle is into haskell.

Like many other things, I haven't had much time for it. Sad

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 08:17:48 am »

im trying to teach myself haskell.  Seems to be a very beautiful language:)
but i can already say that it will take a long time before i can say that i have learnt anything useful:)

are there other VL folks who like/know Haskell?

Well, Ram, I'm not surprised to see you've taken another intellectual challenge upon yourself. Smiley

Haskell is really interesting. I haven't learned much, but I can say a few things that might save you time:

• Haskell is academically superior to Common Lisp and the community generally aren't such stuck-up jerks. Remember that.
  • With lazy evaluation, you don't need macros, and the distinction between them and functions becomes blissfully meaningless.
  • The class infinite Fibonacci list really is a list, even though it looks like a function of some kind.
  • I haven't learned about monads yet, but apparently they aren't the mind-bender that everyone says they are.
  • State mutation can be such a PITA that people go to desperate measures like Haskell to eliminate it.

I had a pretty foul morning as I walked through 94 degree heat, and had many negative thoughts, but I wish you well in learning about a new programming language.

cintyram
Packager

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 01:21:20 pm »

I finished the first 4 chapters in the YAHT.  Got stuck on one exercise problem so far.
But from this week end the ride will get rougher Smiley .

My basic "Goal" is to be able to write an automation script, that reads a config file, and takes actions based on the values.

Doing this in python is a cake walk:) but looks like if i wrap my head around Haskell properly, it should be an eatable cake walk Smiley

Hanum, don't let a couple degrees disturb you:), pretty soon the globe may get much warmer than it is:)
-ram
cintyram
Packager

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 10:05:23 am »

I haven't learned about monads yet, but apparently they aren't the mind-bender that everyone says they are.
ha now i know where i caught the phrase "mind bending" .. any way i hung out on #haskell for a while. they are all angels, pretty much all of them. especially one Cale Gibbard and ddarius and dons.
in general the web is chock full of people starting out on haskell or experts. very few intermediates Smiley
but its a lot of fun. im on to the second book now.
title:  The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths and Programming  http://www.cwi.nl/~jve/HR

i may drop this midway and move to another book. not sure yet.
But Haskell is cool as cool gets Smiley
cheers
ram

PS: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell is the best place to start Smiley

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:09:37 am by cintyram » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 10:39:32 am »

Sorry I didn't respond to your PM, Ram. It's OK for me. I had an appointment with a psychiatrist earlier and she discerned co-morbidities with my AS (schizoid personality and obsessive tendencies)...I may take medication for those.

Anyway, Haskell. Well it's like the learning curve in mathematics I guess. Lots of fruitless labor until...pow!

I still have that PDF BTW.

And yes, ere long we may deal with higher temperatures than ever. Maybe I should shave my beard...

Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 01:29:20 am »

I prefer Brainf**k Wink

Running silent, running deep
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:22:11 am »

I had an appointment with a psychiatrist earlier and she discerned co-morbidities with my AS (schizoid personality and obsessive tendencies

Maybe that's because she hasn't tried linux yet! She would be obsessively tweaking her VL system to perfection as well...  Grin
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 04:18:05 pm »

I had an appointment with a psychiatrist earlier and she discerned co-morbidities with my AS (schizoid personality and obsessive tendencies

Maybe that's because she hasn't tried linux yet! She would be obsessively tweaking her VL system to perfection as well...  Grin

'Normal people' sometimes don't recognize that being a living Opeth song is not without advantage.

cintyram
Packager

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 10:26:16 am »

all my research into cognition and intelligence [ natural and artificial kinds ] has left me in shambles wrt defining what a "normal person" is supposed to be:)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 02:14:54 am »

I prefer Brainf**k Wink

If you like Brainf---, consider Unlambda, its purely functional counterpart. That means no sissy 'do' notation like in n00b-language Haskell.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: