VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:15:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: k3b package problems under VL 5.8 Standard  (Read 5004 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« on: July 09, 2007, 09:57:05 am »

Looking at Ramesh's questions about installing k3b in Standard led me to try it myself.  There are problems with this package.  I can understand why a newcomer would become frustrated quickly.

1.  No .desktop file in /usr/share/applications so there's no menu entry
2.  Executables go into /opt/kde/bin which is NOT in the default path.  This also means that k3b can't find k3bsetup2 on first run.

If we don't have a package maintainer for k3b I can probably fix these when I have time and build a new package.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 10:17:19 am »

I believe that setup probably works fine for a SOHO user since KDE has it's .desktop files in another dir.  And that path would also be valid for SOHO as well.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 10:34:02 am »

Executables go into /opt/kde/bin because k3b is a KDE application. We install KDE to /opt, hence the executable being there.

This package needs to be either moved out of the std repos (to the SOHO repos maybe) or needs to be built with options to fit our STD release. The last option would work in both, SOHO and STD

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:44:17 am »

You are both correct.  k3b is installed by default in SOHO, BTW, and works fine.  What I was suggesting was rebuilding the package so that it would work under Standard.by adding a .desktop file and by altering the default path to include /opt/kde/bin in the install script.  That's my suggestion, anyway. 

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:26:44 am »

I once mentioned I would try to fix the k3b package, but then run out of available free time for the task... Sad. Still, I believe there have been updated versions packaged since then. Maybe the packaging script for k3b needs retouching?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:17:29 pm »

You are both correct.  k3b is installed by default in SOHO, BTW, and works fine.  What I was suggesting was rebuilding the package so that it would work under Standard.by adding a .desktop file and by altering the default path to include /opt/kde/bin in the install script.  That's my suggestion, anyway. 

If you added the .desktop file to /usr/share/applications  it would cause problems for the folks that have the entire KDE install.  The default .desktop location for KDE is /opt/kde/share/applications/kde.  The k3b .desktop file is there as expected so KDE users would see two icons in their menus. It would be fine for other desktop users like Xfce.

If the /opt/kde/share/applications/kde .desktop file was moved to /usr/share/applications it would work correctly for everyone, but maybe not acceptable (to Vector developers) since it belongs with KDE stuff.  Maybe the doit.sh script could grep /etc/vector-vesion and move the .desktop and icon over to usr/share/applications if it is anything other than SOHO?  And edit the $PATH as well?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 12:34:46 pm »

This can be easily fixed with a symlink in /usr/share/applications pointing to /opt/kde/share/applications/kde/k3b.desktop

Dirty quick fix

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 12:55:23 pm »

I have no problems with k3b 1.0.1 (the package in Testing) in 5.8 Standard.
So far as I remember, no problems with 1.0 either.

Strangely enough, there is no .desktop file in /usr/share/apllications, but the icon still shows up in the menu.
It didn't show up right away after installation, it took a while, but it's there now. So I guess xfce is getting the .dekstop file and the icon from somewhere else.

Also, I'm able to launch both k3b and amarok from the command line. /opt/kde/bin is in my PATH in .bashrc, though I didn't put it there. It just showed up. (the kdelibs package I installed was also the one in testing)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 01:00:24 pm »

This can be easily fixed with a symlink in /usr/share/applications pointing to /opt/kde/share/applications/kde/k3b.desktop

Dirty quick fix

Stupid question maybe...  but wouldn't that show up as two instances of that .desktop file to KDE users?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 01:26:49 pm »

Unless you copy the entire file and add this line to the one in /usr/share/applications

Code:
NotShowIn=KDE

Then the user will get one menu entry in XFCE and another one in KDE

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 01:44:35 pm »

Thanks MOE.  I did not know you could do that  Smiley
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 12:07:44 am »

Looking at Ramesh's questions about installing k3b in Standard led me to try it myself.  There are problems with this package.  I can understand why a newcomer would become frustrated quickly.

1.  No .desktop file in /usr/share/applications so there's no menu entry
2.  Executables go into /opt/kde/bin which is NOT in the default path.  This also means that k3b can't find k3bsetup2 on first run.

If we don't have a package maintainer for k3b I can probably fix these when I have time and build a new package.

Interesting, I have /opt/kde/bin in my path in my .bashrc but can't find k3bsetup2 on my first run, on the other hand I do seem to be able to burn iso - all very odd.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 02:50:09 am »

I prefer just moving the .desktop file to /usr/share/applications myself, it always works for me.

On every standard install I added kde to for packaging /opt/kde/bin/ was added to the PATH, probably by either the kdelibs or kdebase package.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 03:03:15 am »

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3047.msg18706#msg18706

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 05:38:43 pm »

I installed k3b in 5.8 Standard (with just kdelibs) and it shows up in the XFce desktop menu. I'm sure I didn't put it there, so something must have done it automatically.

I really don't care whether there's a proper .desktop file because I don't use the desktop menu much. I prefer to use groups on my Xfce panel and it doesn't even matter whether the executable is in my path because I can direct the launcher to wherever the executable lives.

But I suppose things should be done in the proper way.

I don't remember what happened with k3bsetup. If it wasn't found automatically, I'd just find it myself and run it. It runs just once, right?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: