Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: installing .rpm/.deb files  (Read 1746 times)

installing .rpm/.deb files
« on: July 14, 2007, 02:15:25 am »

Hi all,

Is it possible to install .rpm and .deb [application] files in VL 5.8 standard  ?

• Vectorite
  • I know why birds sing ...
Re: installing .rpm/.deb files
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 04:08:59 am »

there is a paket rpm2deb somewhere in the repro, as far as I remember.
I tried it once with the Nero-rpms and it worked in this case fine. But there is no guarantie it works for every paket, if dependencies are not fullfilled you may end with some newly generated directory but no functional program.
Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:02:44 am »

I believe carsten meant to say 'rpm2tgz' since tgz package are easily installable via 'installpkg'.  HTH

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 12:16:15 pm »

Is it possible to install .rpm and .deb [application] files in VL 5.8 standard  ?

As root, open Midnight Commander, highlight the RPM, hit F2, choose the conversion option. Then install the resulting tgz the usual way.

As carsten says, there's no guarantee that the converted package will work on your system. After you install a package, run
as root at a terminal prompt. Then exit from root and as user type the name of the executable at a terminal prompt. Note any error messages.

In general, it's best to use Vector packages or if there isn't one, use something from or If there isn't one there, try to compile the program from source. It's not as hard as it sounds. Converting an rpm or deb is probably the last choice.
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller