VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: firefox issue  (Read 1254 times)

ramesh

firefox issue
« on: July 12, 2007, 03:00:28 am »

Hi All,

When I click on the icon for firefox for the first time after booting I get the follwoing message:

Firefox is already running  but is not responding.  To open a new window you must first close the existing firefox processes, or restart your system.  What went wrong  ?  Plz help

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
Re: firefox issue
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:55:09 am »

Firefox is probably already running on another virtual desktop, or is still being loaded.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

tomh38

• Vectorian
Re: firefox issue
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 04:13:16 am »

ramesh,

I've had this problem myself when booting/logging in for the first time.  I click on the icon, and I get that message.  It only happens occasionally for me.  You'll need to kill Firefox in order to restart it.  It's not that hard.  Open the Xfce Terminal (or some other terminal emulator, such as Konsole) and enter "killall firefox."  This should stop any processes named "firefox."  According to the killall man (manual) page:  "killall - kill processes by name," and "killall sends a signal to all processes running any of  the  specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent."  If that doesn't work, you can run "htop" which is a table of processes.  In htop you can see the processes running on your computer.  Firefox might be running two or three.  You should be able to select each one with the keyboard (or mouse) and use F9 to kill it.  Once there are no firefox processes running, you should be able to start Firefox.

I hope this helps.
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991