VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 12:00:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: firefox issue  (Read 1043 times)
ramesh

« on: July 12, 2007, 02:00:28 am »

Hi All,

When I click on the icon for firefox for the first time after booting I get the follwoing message:

Firefox is already running  but is not responding.  To open a new window you must first close the existing firefox processes, or restart your system.  What went wrong  ?  Plz help
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 02:55:09 am »

Firefox is probably already running on another virtual desktop, or is still being loaded.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 03:13:16 am »

ramesh,

I've had this problem myself when booting/logging in for the first time.  I click on the icon, and I get that message.  It only happens occasionally for me.  You'll need to kill Firefox in order to restart it.  It's not that hard.  Open the Xfce Terminal (or some other terminal emulator, such as Konsole) and enter "killall firefox."  This should stop any processes named "firefox."  According to the killall man (manual) page:  "killall - kill processes by name," and "killall sends a signal to all processes running any of  the  specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent."  If that doesn't work, you can run "htop" which is a table of processes.  In htop you can see the processes running on your computer.  Firefox might be running two or three.  You should be able to select each one with the keyboard (or mouse) and use F9 to kill it.  Once there are no firefox processes running, you should be able to start Firefox.

I hope this helps.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: