VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: no audio  (Read 2013 times)

ramesh

no audio
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:39:14 am »

Hi all,

mp3 file not playing.  Can see the progress bar moving in xmms but no sound comes  What is the reason ?

tomh38

• Vectorian
Re: no audio
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 12:07:18 pm »

ramesh,

Check your mixer settings.  Probably one or more settings is turned all the way down.  Enter "xfce4-mixer" at the command line (in a virtual terminal, i.e. Terminal, Konsole, xterm, etc.).  This will give you access to the volume settings.

Tom
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

ramesh

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:52:12 am »

Tom

issued the command xvce4-mixeras you suggested

The output is:

**(xfce4-mixer:4057): CRITICAL **:  find_master: assertion  'mixer_handle  ! = -1' failed

How to correct this  ?

tomh38

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 04:55:15 am »

ramesh,

I'm really sorry but I have no idea what that is.  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am will know the answer and help out.

Tom
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 05:14:36 am »

ramesh, that is a message from xfce and x11, not related to your soundcard, you can try alsamixer instead, or try using the desktop applet for the xfce mixer, at the rigth of your taskbar.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

ramesh

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:46:16 am »

Tom,

Isolved the problem -How ? I reinstalled vector   Now it is working

tomh38

• Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:06:38 pm »

ramesh,

I'm glad you got your sound working, but I would like to comment that with Linux it's usually not necessary to reinstall the entire OS unless something has gone very seriously wrong.  Back when I was using Windows 98, I had to reinstall every few months.  With Linux it's very often possible and also helpful in learning the OS to track down the cause of the problem and then solve it.

I hope you continue to enjoy Vector Linux - you seem to be very dedicated to get it working the way you need!

Tom

ramesh

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 05:01:04 pm »

Tom,

Thank you for your suggestion