VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 12:00:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow games  (Read 1239 times)
nesmontu

« on: July 12, 2007, 10:02:07 am »

Hello everyone,
Not sure where this belongs, hope this is the appropriate place...
I have a funny problem. I'm running Vector Standard 5.8 on a Dell Latitude C640 (with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500).
Although DRI works (glxinfo gives "direct rendering: yes" and glxgears give an avarage of 600FPS), games using OpenGL (PPRacer, Blob Wars: Blob and Conquer) run extremely slow. Previously I had Ubuntu on this laptop, and those games worked well.
I don't really know what to make of this  Huh If anyone has an idea what the cause can be...

Vector 5.8 Standard
            on a
Dell Latitude C640
(P4 1.8Ghz 512MB RAM)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:53:22 am »

I bet it's your video drivers not working correctly.

which driver are you using?

Try switching drivers and see if that helps

nesmontu

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 11:31:31 am »

Driver is "ati". I tried "radeon" and the result is exactly the same -- direct rendering working, decent FPS in glxgears, and PPRacer as slow as a snail... I really don't get it Huh

Vector 5.8 Standard
            on a
Dell Latitude C640
(P4 1.8Ghz 512MB RAM)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 11:40:59 am »

Did you load the proper ATI Linux drivers from their website or did you let Vector just pick the default ati driver? If the former case you need to lad the proper ATI drivers (check their website). For that you will need to know your exact make-model of video card and you will also need the kernel source (did you check install kernel source when you installed VL?)?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
nesmontu

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:59:19 am »

There's no ATI driver for my card (Mobility Radeon 7500), and on ubuntu things worked fine with the open source driver (including compiz!) Maybe I just need a newer version of X?

Vector 5.8 Standard
            on a
Dell Latitude C640
(P4 1.8Ghz 512MB RAM)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: