VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 08:20:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: wifi-radar problems (solved)  (Read 7251 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: July 12, 2007, 08:01:18 pm »

Hi Folks,

My Netgear MA401 card worked fine on my HP Omnibook 900b running Vector 5.8 for a couple of months.  And still does if I know the ESSID.  However, the wifi-radar daemon stopped showing up in the Network menu a while back.  When run in root terminal, wifi-radar works fine if I am already connected via vwifi-connect but if not already connected, it loops, saying "eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down"

So, naturally, knowing everything there is to know about everything, I decided to fix it by clicking on SKEL (Reset default settings) in user VASM and now have just the Xfce menu (not the pretty Vector menu).  Oh well. 

Any suggestions on either of these problems is appreciated.  I am getting along fine with Xfce and vxwifi-connect but would like wifi-radar for when I am in strange wifi areas.  Actually, I like Xfce so well I might not go back to Vector's desktop, even if I figure out how.  But I would like to know how to do so.  Have reloaded wifi-radar several times without success.  Probably need to change something to eth1 before it will work but not sure how.

John
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 07:44:48 pm by lawquest » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:00:40 pm »

FWIW, I have the similar "eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down" messages scroll by in the terminal after starting wifi-radar from terminal.  I've just assumed it was a repetative broadcast beacon trying to find an access point because once I connect to my local AP the messages stop scrolling by.

I also had wifi-radar disappear from my xfce menu after upgrading.  I found that I had to fix the .desktop file to get it to show back up.  As root, I editted my /usr/share/applications/wifi-radar.desktop file and had to alter the 'Exec=' command to read 'Exec=gksu wifi-radar' (no quotes of course).  Maybe this will help you.

And I'm not sure how to bring back the VL xfce menu, but I'd sure like to know Cheesy
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 10:52:52 pm »

Hi Newfor,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, and rebooted, but still no wifi-radar in the network menu. I will let you know if I figure out how to get the Vector desktop back.

John

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:12:25 am »

Can you post the contents of wifi-radar.desktop?  It seems that if one letter is incorrect then the option won't show in the menu.  You should be able to output the contents via 'cat /usr/share/applications/wifi-radar.desktop' in the terminal.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 12:48:29 pm »

I note that when following the Wireless Instructions (try this first) page, it does not seem to recognize my MA401 card.  It did, I believe, before I did whatever I did to it.  At least wifi-radar worked fine when I first started using that card. Now here is the wifi-radar.desktop file:

root:# cat /usr/share/applications/wifi-radar.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=Wifi-radar
GenericName=Wireless tool
Comment=Tool for connecting to wireless networks
Icon=wifi-radar.svg
FilePattern=wifi-radar
TryExec=wifi-radar
Exec=gksudo -S wifi-radar
Categories=Application;Network;

Thanks

John

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 01:05:23 pm »

I don't have enough experience in troubleshooting wireless hardware problems to give advice.  You should probably start a new thread on your wireless hardware problem to get more visability on that problem.

Regarding the .desktop file I would try changing the Exec part to read:
Exec=gksu wifi-radar

That's what has worked for me.  Hope this helps.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 01:47:36 pm »

Thanks,

I tried that the other day and it didn't help.

I have been thinking of reloading Vector and wondering what I would write over if I did.  I have a swap partition, a programs partition (contains Vector 5.8, lyx, postgres, etc) and a data partition.  I just don't have confidence that I wouldn't somehow mess up my data files if I reloaded.  So, being chicken, I will probably just continue to do with vwifi-connect for a while.  I may try a new thread as you suggest if I don't figure out something soon.

John

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 03:22:38 pm »

Just for comparison, here's mine:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=WiFi-Radar
Exec=gksu wifi-radar
Icon=/usr/share/pyNeighborhood/icons/pyneighborhood_48x48.png
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Network

A bit different.  I'm not sure if the differences would matter or not.

I once had to reload VL on top of itself.  I had three partitions; /, /home, swap.  I chose to only format root (/) and mounted the existing /home as /home without formatting.  It worked out okay.  I did chose a difference username and userID on the reload so that it didn't affect the already existing username/ID.

Good luck!

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 10:23:42 am »

I hope to try yours this weekend.  Do I just put a * in front of my existing code to disable it?

John

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 10:29:29 am »

lawquest, you must have meant a #

as in
Code:
#Exec=wifi-radar
Exec=gksu wifi-radar
that would disable the first line, the second line would remain enabled.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 11:22:10 am »

Great info!  I still program in foxpro 2.6 dos and I use the * on it.

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 12:34:40 pm »

Tried Newtor's wifi configuration and it cleaned up the wifi gui, but it still doesn't seem to scan.

John

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 01:12:04 pm »

Hi John,

Did you try to re-install wifi-radar with gslapt?

David

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 02:43:52 pm »

Tried Newtor's wifi configuration and it cleaned up the wifi gui, but it still doesn't seem to scan.

John

Maybe I've totally overlooked an obvious, but you stated that you will see the message "eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down" when starting wifi-connect via the terminal.  Generally, eth0 is the wired LAN port which technically doesn't support scanning (at least it doesn't support scanning in the 'wireless' sense), so maybe the message is not as important as it may seem.

Have you created a new profile/account via the wifi-connect 'Add' option?  If so, does the profile/account show up as an option to connect to?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 08:39:26 pm »

Hi Folks,

I think I should mark this topic "solved."  Unbeknownst to me, it did scan after I replaced my wifi-configuration with Newtor's.  I discovered that this last weekend when on a trip.  It didn't scan automatically on program-start - -I had to try to "connect" to one of my saved ESSIDS, but once I did that it scanned quite well.  So I am happy.  I like the way it works now and am therefore a bit afraid to try a reinstall with gslapt.  I had tried that before without success.   

As an aside, I am still not able to get back the pretty Vector desktop, but don't mind Xfce at all.Yet. Someday I will look through the topics and see what if anything I can do about this.

So thanks to all  This is a very good forum.

John

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: