VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 12:06:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep your laptop and Vista both.  (Read 7514 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 03:10:47 pm »

My desktop is very quiet also.  I put in sound absorbing foam on the insides of the side panels.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 04:22:49 pm »

Well, that is nice. I hate the sound of my computer. All is loud, fans, hard drives, cd drives. I would like to have passive coolers too! But they are extremely expensive here too. But is worst, I like to play with music and I record offen. I have a nice condenser mic, but I need a very long cable to avoid the computer noise  Sad.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 06:18:08 pm »

For a number of years my only computer was a Pentium 2: No case. Motherboard and components sitting on the floor on top of a piece of cardboard. Every single fan clipped off. . . HDD in an enclosure. . . Never gave me any trouble. . . or noise. How i miss it! *sniff, sniff*

I buy my computers used. They're much cheaper, and to this date i haven't had any problems with them. And, of course, old hardware has been around for a while, which makes support, compatibility, etc, easier.

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 07:27:20 pm »

No case. Motherboard and components sitting on the floor on top of a piece of cardboard. Every single fan clipped off. . . HDD in an enclosure. . .

My cats would love that. "Look, Mom, a new playground!"
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 09:43:09 pm »

A problem I have with most laptops is the use of black or dark-colored keyboards. I like to rely on ambient light in my house, and this light isnt sufficient to illuminate letters on a black keyboard, since black reflects very little light. In contrast, a beige, silver, or light-colored keyboard reflects sufficient light from the room to provides its own illumination, and doesnt require direct lighting.

Consequently, I must have near perfect lighting to see the letters on the black keyboard of a typical laptop, the best illumination being direct lighting which is undesired. USB lights are a response to this illumination problem on a black keyboard. OTOH, I can read letters on a beige keyboard in a dimly lit room because the lighter color reflects more light and provides better illumination and contrast for the black letters.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 03:39:23 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 10:09:42 am »

The users of this forum are hard to content, which is good.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Jerry
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 07:20:04 am »

(from the first post) "..I hate looking at an LCD and all the power sucking programs running in the background.."

I'm sure it's been suggested here that you can configure Vista, much like XP, to run as fast as you want it to.  I've
tweaked Vista Premium on this Acer Aspire to run blazingly fast, mainly following suggestions at Black Viper's
website and at various other "windows/vista tweaking/tips and tricks" sites.

It's simple, step-by-step stuff to get the bloat and adware and (some!) unnecessary security  and background
services, etc out of operation so that your laptop OS is quick and responsive.

But of course, I finally purchased a spare hard drive so that I can run Vector when I feel like it, too.   Wink
ekp

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 07:16:58 pm »

(from the first post) "..I hate looking at an LCD and all the power sucking programs running in the background.."

I'm sure it's been suggested here that you can configure Vista, much like XP, to run as fast as you want it to.  I've
tweaked Vista Premium on this Acer Aspire to run blazingly fast, mainly following suggestions at Black Viper's
website and at various other "windows/vista tweaking/tips and tricks" sites.

It's simple, step-by-step stuff to get the bloat and adware and (some!) unnecessary security  and background
services, etc out of operation so that your laptop OS is quick and responsive.

But of course, I finally purchased a spare hard drive so that I can run Vector when I feel like it, too.   Wink

Well it is nice to get so much input.  I agree with the posts that state clueless operators run a lot of security they do not need.  This is my daughters first computer and no one touches it.  She feels the need at this point to run all the Norton Security programs.  If it were mine I would also do away with most of the programs running in the background.  I have not used Windows for probably ten years and have got used to not needing such stuff.  I hear only horror stories from other users about spyware invading system and such.  I myself had never had a virus.........check that ..I did have one attached to and email once.

I have not played with the desktop on my daughters computer or I would get all the trash off it.  I find my linux distros (currently SOHO 5.Cool much cleaner and easier to use.  My wife has even become a convert.  All she has at work is Win2000.

If you are a graphics student then it is only Mac for you and LCD's do not render enough colors so CRT's are the only way to go.  I find resolution on LCD's lacking.  I must admit though I have only seen Windows systems on LCD's and I think Linux renders better anyway.

These are my opinions only and management is not responsible for content.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 07:35:17 pm »

Suggestion: Get rid of Norton Security (uninstall it). Use instead the following freeware:

1. AVG Free - antivirus
http://www.download.com/3000-2239_4-10703202.html

2. Spybot Search & Destroy - spyware remover
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

3. Ad-Aware 2007 free - spyware remover
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

4. ZoneAlarm free - software firewall
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7228-order,1-page,1-c,firewalls/description.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 01:36:34 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 12:10:48 am »

That is good advice, Norton is just so heavy weight - it can slow down a computer to a crawl.  Better the light weight programs suggested.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 06:05:45 am »

Another antivirus application that's free (GPL Free!) is ClamWin, which is ClamAv using Cygwin to run in Windows.  You don't have to install any Cygwin files, ClamWin does all that for you.

When ever I work on somebody's Windows machine, I install ClamWin.  I think it works at least as well as any of the proprietary antivirus programs out there, certainly better that crappy Norton.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 08:55:37 am »

Some good advise here!  My mother in laws laptop has Norton's and some other bloat that completely slows down startup.  Her "subscriptions" have expired so they aren't any use (she won't be able to afford to renew them right now).  Yet they still have to load up.  I've been itching for the chance of ripping that crap out of the laptop.  Now is my chance since freeware is available. 

Thanks a bunch!
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 08:58:33 am »

Norton: nag, nag, nag
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 09:31:40 am »

A problem I have with most laptops is the use of black or dark-colored keyboards. I like to rely on ambient light in my house, and this light isnt sufficient to illuminate letters on a black keyboard, since black reflects very little light. In contrast, a beige, silver, or light-colored keyboard reflects sufficient light from the room to provides its own illumination, and doesnt require direct lighting.

Consequently, I must have near perfect lighting to see the letters on the black keyboard of a typical laptop, the best illumination being direct lighting which is undesired. USB lights are a response to this illumination problem on a black keyboard. OTOH, I can read letters on a beige keyboard in a dimly lit room because the lighter color reflects more light and provides better illumination and contrast for the black letters.

Set your desktop background to pure white. It's sufficient to read by.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 10:10:45 am »

I've been itching for the chance of ripping that crap out of the laptop...
Well said. I get a lot of requests to tune up slow Windows systems and the first thing I do is remove Norton/Symantec stuff and install the apps suggested by nubcnubdo above. The latter is just way too resource intensive, invasive and expensive. Everything software should not be!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: