VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 10:20:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CUPS+Apple.. !  (Read 1849 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: July 13, 2007, 10:03:39 am »

Interesting:
http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L475
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:07:03 am »

Interesting indeed...and somewhat disapointing since Apple is so inward looking and self-centered, I can't see any benefits for the community coming from this  Undecided

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:52:15 am »

This is disappointing.  I dislike Apple, though not as much as I dislike Microsoft.  At least they're keeping it open source.  I hope that means that CUPS will support all printers produced in the future, thus making them available for Linux use.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 10:47:49 pm »

Yeah, I don't know what to make of this...  Huh  I'm not an Apple person either, and can't help but wonder how this will affect us ...

Off-topic (well, not really) I like the pic in your sig, easuter.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 07:11:42 am »

Despite the fact that the CUPS license uses GPL+exceptions language, it is effectively a dual license. There is nothing wrong with using a dual license, but it would be preferable if they made that clearer.

The main ramification of the exception is that authors of printer drivers can release their driver under a GPL incompatible license and Apple could distribute that driver but Linux distributions could not. This situation is no different than if Apple had called their "GPL+extensions" license the "CUPS License".

So Apple is basically maintaining a GPL version and a CUPS License version; using the CUPS version for themselves (so they aren't required to release source code and they can permit GPL incompatible drivers). They are (only) permitted to do this because they are (presumably) the copyright holders of all CUPS software -- and they require that any contributions either assign them copyright or use the "CUPS License".

Hopefully, printer manufacturers are aware that there are many more Linux installations than Macs and will decide that releasing a GPL version of their driver is in their best interest.

TUCA; ie, IANAL

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: