VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vector Live = Wrong Screen Resolution  (Read 6596 times)

gacl

• Vectorite
Re: Vector Live = Wrong Screen Resolution
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 08:56:46 am »

what version of VL live do you have?

5.8 Standard

at the boot prompt try "vector 1280 changes=/dev/sda1" change the wallpaper and reboot with same command and see if it saved changes

I tried that and a couple of variations of it but i always get: "Could not find kernel image: vector"
“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 05:35:04 pm »

5.8 std uses old scripts so you would have to try:
linux 1280 changes=/dev/sda1

gacl

• Vectorite
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 08:40:08 pm »

linux 1280 changes=/dev/sda1

uelsk8s, that did nothing to the resolution. However. . .

I've finally been able to set the correct resolution. I have to download and install 915resolution, i did 915resolution 3c 1280 768 to be able to access that resolution, i changed xorg.conf to include that resolution as default, logged out, logged in as root/text-only, did startx, and voila! there it is.

The problem is that when i reboot everything's gone.

Thanks, guys.

Gus
“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 09:00:02 pm »

there should be a folder called rootcopy on the USB.
if you copy the new xorg.conf to rootcopy/etc/X11/xorg.conf, and the 915resolution util to somewhere like rootcopy/sbin/915resolution
copy /etc/rc.d/rc.local to rootcopy/etc/rc.d/rc.local and add your "915resolution 3c 1280 768" to the end then they should be copied to the filesystem on reboot.

gacl

• Vectorite
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 10:08:13 pm »

Not quite there yet. Still not getting the correct resolution after booting.

The 915resolution utility is there, and if i do 915resolution -l to list the resolutions, i can see that the change is there, which means that rc.local is being loaded and the 915resolution 3c 1280 768 command within it is being executed.

However. . . /etc/X11/xorg.conf shows the old configuration, even when /mnt/vl-hot/sda/vol/rootcopy/etc/X11/xorg.conf shows the new configuration ( the correct one ).

I think that the xorg.conf file is being loaded but somehow is being overwritten. Maybe i could try to add cp /mnt/vl-hot/sda/vol/rootcopy/etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf to rc.local? Or maybe i'll break something. . ?

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 04:22:48 am »

try naming your file something else like xorg.conf.new
then add cp /mnt/vl-hot/sda/vol/rootcopy/etc/X11/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf to rc.local

gacl

• Vectorite
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 12:40:41 pm »

Yes, that worked!

Thanks, uelsk8s, Joe1962, rbistolfi, and the rest.

Gus
Pages: 1 [2]