VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 06:27:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Linux app do I use to open a Microsoft Power Point Demonstration file?  (Read 5219 times)
gwt

« on: July 14, 2007, 07:21:45 am »

I just had a .pps file emailed to me by a friend.  Any recommendations on what Linux applications I can use to open it?

Thanks
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:23:30 am »

try OpenOffice
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 07:24:23 am »

OpenOffice.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 08:20:42 am »

Install OpenOffice and then use the OpenOffice Impress app to open that file.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 09:07:33 am »

So.... should I try using openoffice for power point files? Grin Cheesy Wink
gwt

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 10:18:15 am »

OpenOffice locks up my machine so I had to uninstall it. 

Any other alternatives?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 10:59:37 am »

No, I am not aware of any other software that will read .pps files. OpeOffice should not lock up your machine. Many other VL users are running OO without lock-ups under both SOHO and Standard. Where did you get the OO package from? Please run "soffice" in a terminal and post back any error messages you see in the terminal.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
gwt

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 12:09:37 pm »

No, I am not aware of any other software that will read .pps files. OpeOffice should not lock up your machine. Many other VL users are running OO without lock-ups under both SOHO and Standard. Where did you get the OO package from? Please run "soffice" in a terminal and post back any error messages you see in the terminal.
With a 600MHz Pentium III running on 256MB of RAM, OpenOffice is just too resource-hungry for my machine.  I used the one that came on the Vector Standard .iso, but that's another issue.  Abiword works just fine and have had no issues with it. 

I thought there might be something else out there out there in Gslapt, but if not, then I'll just have to use my Windows machine to download it.

I appreciate the help, thanks.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 02:27:18 pm »

OpenOffice is just too resource-hungry for my machine.  I used the one that came on the Vector Standard .iso

OOo doesn't come with VL 5 Standard. It is in the repository, however.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 02:27:36 pm »

I ran OpenOffice with SOHO 5.1 on a PIII/450MHz machine with only 196 meg of ram. Ran just fine.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Kocil

Eko M. Budi

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 02:35:50 pm »

OpenOffice locks up my machine so I had to uninstall it. 

Any other alternatives?

Downgrade to OOo 2.1.
The newest 2.2.x has been known to have that problem.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 08:03:04 pm »

No, I am not aware of any other software that will read .pps files.

Applixware does and I am using it since my first days with Linux RedHat 5.2, they had made a light version available then. There is a full version now for free for Linux home user.

http://gromit.vistasource.com/downloads/applixware6-lnx-homeuser.tar.gz

I paid once $25.00 for the commercial version and found it was worth it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: