Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: What Linux app do I use to open a Microsoft Power Point Demonstration file?  (Read 5428 times)

gwt

I just had a .pps file emailed to me by a friend.  Any recommendations on what Linux applications I can use to open it?

Thanks

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
try OpenOffice

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
OpenOffice.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

easuter

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Install OpenOffice and then use the OpenOffice Impress app to open that file.

newt

• Vectorian
So.... should I try using openoffice for power point files? ;D :D ;)

gwt

OpenOffice locks up my machine so I had to uninstall it. 

Any other alternatives?

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
No, I am not aware of any other software that will read .pps files. OpeOffice should not lock up your machine. Many other VL users are running OO without lock-ups under both SOHO and Standard. Where did you get the OO package from? Please run "soffice" in a terminal and post back any error messages you see in the terminal.
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

gwt

No, I am not aware of any other software that will read .pps files. OpeOffice should not lock up your machine. Many other VL users are running OO without lock-ups under both SOHO and Standard. Where did you get the OO package from? Please run "soffice" in a terminal and post back any error messages you see in the terminal.
With a 600MHz Pentium III running on 256MB of RAM, OpenOffice is just too resource-hungry for my machine.  I used the one that came on the Vector Standard .iso, but that's another issue.  Abiword works just fine and have had no issues with it. 

I thought there might be something else out there out there in Gslapt, but if not, then I'll just have to use my Windows machine to download it.

I appreciate the help, thanks.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
OpenOffice is just too resource-hungry for my machine.  I used the one that came on the Vector Standard .iso

OOo doesn't come with VL 5 Standard. It is in the repository, however.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
I ran OpenOffice with SOHO 5.1 on a PIII/450MHz machine with only 196 meg of ram. Ran just fine.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

Kocil

• Eko M. Budi
OpenOffice locks up my machine so I had to uninstall it. 

Any other alternatives?

Downgrade to OOo 2.1.
The newest 2.2.x has been known to have that problem.

Pita

• Vectorian
No, I am not aware of any other software that will read .pps files.

Applixware does and I am using it since my first days with Linux RedHat 5.2, they had made a light version available then. There is a full version now for free for Linux home user.

http://gromit.vistasource.com/downloads/applixware6-lnx-homeuser.tar.gz

I paid once $25.00 for the commercial version and found it was worth it.