VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:05:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL POSIX compliance \ dev. tools ?  (Read 3406 times)
ScruffyWin

« on: July 14, 2007, 09:31:53 am »

A bit of a newbie question here as I've not done UNIX / Linux builds in a quite a while ...

Do most Linux distributions these days adhere to POSIX - well, at least specifically SOHO? I'm asking generally, from the 10,000 foot view, without drilling into details yet - unless there are real issues, of course!

Do you all have a listing here of your favorite development tools?

thanks much.
Scruf

PS - I've scanned a fair number of posts here and am very impressed with the level of support everyone gives! Grin Grin

Why must goggled GNU gargoyles gargle before they google?
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:27:15 am »

The GNU C libraries are POSIX compliant, so any distro should be POSIX compliant too! Smiley
And we don't make any modifications to these libraries.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 11:55:50 am by easuter » Logged

ScruffyWin

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:52:51 am »

Ah, thanks easuter

I was wondering how fundamental posix is ...

-ScruffyWin,
slowly recovering from a long Windows hangover  Cool
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 11:54:44 am by ScruffyWin » Logged

Why must goggled GNU gargoyles gargle before they google?
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 02:35:14 pm »

A bit of a newbie question here as I've not done UNIX / Linux builds in a quite a while ...

Do most Linux distributions these days adhere to POSIX - well, at least specifically SOHO? I'm asking generally, from the 10,000 foot view, without drilling into details yet - unless there are real issues, of course!

Do you all have a listing here of your favorite development tools?

thanks much.
Scruf

PS - I've scanned a fair number of posts here and am very impressed with the level of support everyone gives! Grin Grin

The programming facilities on most Linux distributions are a superset of POSIX. And yes, nearly every relevant thing in Linux dists, from the kernel up, are POSIX compliant. Since I like to read off my favorite programs, I gladly honor your other requests:

vim and jEdit are good coding editors, I think. Perl and Python are my favorite programming languages. For UI design, I like Qt Designer the most so far. Subversion is the best revision system I have used so far.

Etc....

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: