VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 02:09:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation Problem  (Read 2978 times)
Anathema

« on: July 14, 2007, 10:21:43 am »

So, I installed VL, did the proper partitioning and got through to the configuration part.
When it was testing my display drivers my screen when some weird colours and it froze.
I rebooted and it froze at "Starging udevd: /sbin/udevd --daemon"
I figured reinstalling it might fix it but when I tried to reinstall it it wouldn't let me past the Package Selection screen.
Anathema

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:32:03 am »

Managed to reinstall it without it freezing, still get "Starting udevd: /sbin/udevd --daemon" freezing me on trying to boot.
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 01:09:37 pm »

I'm sure it would be a big help to those who might respond if you said what version of VL you are using and at least some basic info on your hardware.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Anathema

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 01:17:18 pm »

Woops >_<
VL 5.8 SOHO

Acer Aspire 5510
Intel Centrino 740 (1.73Ghz)
1Gb RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon X700
15.4" LCD Screen.
Integrated card reader and PC Card slot.
Intel 2200BG Wifi
Broadcom Bluetooth adapter
Conexant Soundcard
rotorn

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 09:02:10 am »

I've had the same problem; sometimes it just froze as it seems to do in your case and sometimes it gave me an error message "divide error: 0000 [#1]" . I managed to reach the desktop only by replacing deficient RAM with a working one. Now it stills pauses a bit at "Starting udevd: /sbin/udevd --daemon" and the following line is something about a floppy disc, which I dont have installed. So whatever this divide error means, it seems to me it's a hardware issue
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:41:31 pm »

hi Anathema, in my very humble experience, this is caused by udev trying to configure a weird device. I had that experience with a usb winmodem, the prestige 600 series one, using the cxacru module from the soho kernel. The udev daemon will take like 10 minutes (seriously) to go ahead with that modem pluged. If you didnt, I would suggest to wait for a while before a hard reboot, if the system finally get up, you will need to find the device causing the problem and blacklist the proper module. We can think later how to configure the device properly.
Another way around would be to do a very minimal install, i.e. disable almost every device from bios, and try to boot the system, then you could enable the devices one at a time, and identify the problematic one.
A third try would be to get an older kernel, like the 5.8 standard one, and see if this one can boot.
This was my solution to the winmodem problem with udev, I hope this can help you. If one of our gurus has a better advice, please jump in Wink this is not a frequently problem.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 09:05:18 am »

My two cents worth:

So far, with one ram-related exception, I have been able to fix most install problems by moving the swap file to the middle spot.  Generally, for some reason, I make the swap file the first partition, programs second and data third..  If that doesn't work, I make the first partition the programs partition and swap the second, keeping the third for data.  Don't know if I have just been lucky or what.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: