Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Kernel panic Cannot open root device  (Read 3549 times)

Kernel panic Cannot open root device
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:52:27 pm »

Hi. I'm returning to Vector and linux after a long break and I'm a little rusty.
I've installed VL5.8 on a Toshiba Tecra A8 laptop. The main problem is being unable to adjust screen brightness and I compiled a new kernel (2.6.21) to try to get toshset working (unsuccessfully, that's another story).

Booting my new kernel ends in a kernel panic

VFS: Cannot open root device "807" or unknown block (8,07)
Please append a correct "root= " boot option

I can still boot the original kernel from lilo OK which makes it sound like there is a problem with the config of my new kernel, but I don't think it is. I have double checked the sata drivers are included, all the required filesystems. In fact i have also compiled a 2.6.21 from the config of the kernel that works, and the result is the same. Instead I think it is something to do with the boot process

When I go back through dmesg of the working kernel, there is a line that comes up saying
BOOT_IMAGE= ro root=807
This does not come from /etc/lilo.conf. I did a grep -r BOOT_IMAGE /boot and the only match was the binary file /boot/map

My systen is a dual boot with WinXP. I have a boot.ini optoin to load lilo and it goes from there. My root partition is /dev/sda7

Is there anything else I should be checking in the kernel config?
What else can I check for clues?

Many thanks

• Vectorian
Re: Kernel panic Cannot open root device
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 08:34:04 pm »

The easiest is to compare the file in /boot/config... with your config which is
in linux-<your kernel>.config.

Re: Kernel panic Cannot open root device
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 04:49:26 am »

Thanks, good tip.
In the end I have just started from scratch and gone through every option and now it works. Boots much quicker too now. I think part of the problem was that make menuconfig wasn't saving the config for some reason, then when I did make it was using the default options (which didn't include sata).

Anyhoo, on to the next problem. In another forum.