In reviewing this thread (and inspired by blurymind's earlier post in this thread), I've seen so many great wallpapers and works of art. As a result, I've started an artwork repository at the main VL FTP site at http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/vl-artwork
. It's empty at the moment. However, those of you who wish to create artwork for VL and want it to go into the VL artwork repository, please create an ssh key on your box using the following instructions if you haven't already done so:
1) Open a terminal.
2) Type ssh-keygen -t rsa at the command prompt. A public-private key pair will be generated.
3) You will be prompted for a passphrase. While not absolutely necessary, it's a good idea to have one.
4) The public key file will be saved in a text file located at ~/.ssh/rsa_id.pub.
If you need to use a Windows box to access the site via SSH, PuTTY is the recommended SSH client.
1) Use PuTTYgen to generate a key pair. The key pair needs to be SSH-2 (either RSA or DSA will be fine).
2) Click the Generate button in the PuTTYgen window and follow the prompts.
3) Once the key is generated, copy the key from the part of the PuTTYgen window marked "Public key for pasting into SSH authorized_keys file" and paste it into the body of an e-mail (plain text format, please).
Once you have generated the public key (whether via VL, another Linux/BSD, Mac OS X or Windows), e-mail it to me at johnb316 at gmail dot com as a file attachment (preferred). If you have to put the key in the body of the e-mail (the case with PuTTYgen), use plain text as your e-mail format. Since I get a fair amount of e-mail daily, format your subject line like this:
VLforumname - SSH key (art)
I need to see the word "art" in the subject so that I give you correct instructions for access to the repository.