VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 01:43:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 070715 - Vim 7.1  (Read 5705 times)
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: July 15, 2007, 01:38:13 pm »

Vim fans, hanumizzle has packaged the latest Vim release (7.1), and its available for download from the testing repo.
Those who aren't Vim fans, you don't know what you are missing!  Wink

Package: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/testing/dev/vim-7.1-i586-2vl58.tlz

Code:
vim: vim 7.1
vim:
vim: Vim began as a clone of the vi editor for use on the Amiga and has since
vim: then become one of the most featureful programming editors on Unix, with
vim: support for syntax highlighting, automatic indentation, tags, keymaps,
vim: macros, sessions, completion, parenthesis matching, and various forms of
vim: scripting including a built-in programming language in case the authors
vim: forgot anything.
vim:
vim: BUILD_DATE: Sat Jul 14 05:50:00 EST 2007
vim: PACKAGER: hanumizzle
vim: HOST: Linux 2.6.18.5 i686
vim: DISTRO: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
vim: CFLAGS: -O2 -march=i586 -mtune=i686
vim: BUILD_COMMAND: ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --bindir=/usr/bin --libdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/man --with-included-gettext --enable-pythoninterp --enable-multibyte --enable-xim --enable-gui=gtk2 --with-features=huge --with-compiledby=hanumizzle

Post feedback here.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:40:10 pm by easuter » Logged

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 03:38:16 pm »

Vim package is working well.  Only a couple of comments:

package name is vim 7.1-i586-1, so it's more a slacky than vectorlinux  package name.

If compiled --with-features=huge  and enable-pythoninterp, why not making it a bit bigger (and bloated?) with --enable-perlinterp and --enable-rubyinterp ?

Those who aren't Vim fans, you don't know what you are missing!  Wink

Indeed!

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 03:44:05 pm »

Several reasons:

The Python interpreter support is statically compiled, so it adds no dependencies.
The Perl support causes some strange conflict with libieee, so I left that out for now.
I use Python omni-completion. Smiley

But if the Vim user base here wants something to change (all five or six of us), I'll gladly oblige.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:36:56 pm »

IIRC perl and ruby are included in all VL versions,so compiling vim with +perl OR +ruby won't add real new dependencies when installing vim.

I didn't know about perl vs libieee problems.

Anyway, If one needs some extra options in vim, compiling it is really straightforward (I've been doing it in every machine I install).

Cheers

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 04:38:44 pm »

IIRC perl and ruby are included in all VL versions,so compiling vim with +perl OR +ruby won't add real new dependencies when installing vim.

I didn't know about perl vs libieee problems.

Anyway, If one needs some extra options in vim, compiling it is really straightforward (I've been doing it in every machine I install).

Cheers

I'll redo with perl, ruby, (and tcl) I guess. I'll see if I can get perl to reconcile with libieee then; I believe the error was something about Perl's definition of a function that conflicted.

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:33:09 am »

Excellent job done with the packaging of Vim here. I make no apologies for again mentioning the Cream text editor, which is basically a bunch of scripts which work with GVim to add some useful options to it and make it more user-friendly;

http://cream.sourceforge.net/
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 04:53:57 pm »

Excellent job done with the packaging of Vim here. I make no apologies for again mentioning the Cream text editor, which is basically a bunch of scripts which work with GVim to add some useful options to it and make it more user-friendly;

I'll try that.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 06:11:39 pm »

I'll try that.

Actually, I installed it here, so others from the family can use vim too. It has an install script and dont need anything else than vim to run. the first thing I said is: is just gvim! but the others noted the easier configuration quickly. Thanks colonel for pointing it.
btw, the vim package works great, thanks hanu.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 04:53:18 am »

I'll try that.

Do you have a substantial .vimrc, rbistolfi? Many Vim features are unavailable until you set special options.

Here's mine: http://pastebin.ca/629560

Actually, I installed it here, so others from the family can use vim too. It has an install script and dont need anything else than vim to run. the first thing I said is: is just gvim! but the others noted the easier configuration quickly. Thanks colonel for pointing it.
btw, the vim package works great, thanks hanu.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 08:03:17 am »

No, I havent. These are my first steps with vim, its just great. I do some php developing for extra money  Smiley, and I used several editors. I think vim is better even than the php-ready ones. I started my own .vimrc, but I just added a few things, like the syntax and :color desert, my favorite (that color theme gives me like 2 more hours of eyes for work  Smiley).
Thank you very much for your .vimrc, I will start to steal some things rigth now  Wink

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 02:40:57 pm »

hanumizzle's revision of the vim package is up (2vl58).

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 07:27:13 am »

Thanks for the .vimrc hanu, I'll try that one too. I haven't done anything to my vim installation so far.
caitlyn
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

I think there are more than a five or six vim fans here Smiley  I was recently playing with a distro that didn't have vi at all and felt absolutely lost. 

Works well, nicely done.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 12:48:09 pm »

I think there are more than a five or six vim fans here Smiley  I was recently playing with a distro that didn't have vi at all and felt absolutely lost. 

Works well, nicely done.

Shocked One of the reasons I started with vi/vim a few months ago was because its supposed to be a standard on every *Nix system. Now I use it because I love it.  Smiley

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 06:08:33 pm »

... Now I use it because I love it.  Smiley

Me too. vim has a steep learning curve but once you have the basics it is so amazingly fast and powerful. I keep finding ways of doing stuff with fewer and fewer keystrokes.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: