VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 07:17:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accessing windows partitions  (Read 2434 times)
ramesh

« on: July 15, 2007, 04:41:43 pm »

Hi All,

How to access windows partitions from VL 5.8 standard  on a dual boot machine  ?

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:45:59 pm »

Well, which partition is Windows, in terms of /dev device? Is it FAT or NTFS filesystem?

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
ramesh

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 04:52:06 pm »

Hanumissle,

Thank you for your instant response

The Command fdisk -l gives the follwoing out put

/dev hda 1   FAT 32
/dev hda 2   Linux
/dev hda 3   FAT 32
/dev hda 4   Linux swap
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:55:02 pm »

Next question: are there any lines in /etc/fstab that have /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda4 at their head? I have never dual-booted Vector with Windows, so I am unfamiliar with the process.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:05:17 pm »

How to access windows partitions from VL 5.8 standard  on a dual boot machine  ?

I hope this won't be taken as telling you to RTFM, but this question is covered in the documentation that is accessible right on your desktop in 5.8 Standard. Open Vector-Docs (there's an icon on the default desktop). Scroll down to Documentation/Help. Click on VectorLinux Manuals. When that comes up, click on Accessing local disks and partitions. That will give you as much as you need to know to mount and access Windows file systems.

I note that the explanations and examples do not seem to cover making an NTFS partition writable with ntfs-3g. If you have NTFS partitions you would like to write to, post a question here and someone will help you. You should also find the answer to that through a forum search, if the answer wasn't lost when the forum was reorganized or something and we lost a bunch of HowTo's and valuable forum messages.

It is faster, more efficient, and more empowering to learn to use the documentation we already have than to post questions in the forum and hope someone answers. If you don't understand something you read, don't have any luck after trying something you've read, or can't find what you need to know, forum members are more than happy to try to help.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
ScruffyWin

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 06:09:31 pm »

NTFS partition writable with ntfs-3g.

Nice coincidence - I just spent several hours looking at this very same topic!  Cool There's a ton of  ntfs-3g info out there - a google or two took me to more than I'd ever want to know.

Or try this - if it doesn't seem a little bass ackwards - you can go the other way around too and R/W your Linux partitions from Windoz, using this very cool Ext2/Ext3 file system extension, aka device driver:

http://www.fs-driver.org

cheers,
Scruffy

(Or if you want to do something really whacky Roll Eyes, run Virtual Box on Win then run VL inside that - and (locally!) FTP between the two concurrently running OS's  Shocked --- sort of eBio feedback, I guess...

Why must goggled GNU gargoyles gargle before they google?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 07:24:12 pm »

Nice coincidence - I just spent several hours looking at this very same topic!  Cool There's a ton of  ntfs-3g info out there - a google or two took me to more than I'd ever want to know.

The only thing I wanted to know was how to enable ntfs-3g for my NTFS partitions. Smiley It amounts to just a slight change in /etc/fstab. I took the word of the many people who have used ntfs-3g without problems and trusted that my NTFS file systems wouldn't be trashed. Actually, I don't write to NTFS drives very often. I have FAT32 partitions for things I want to share between Linux and Windows. But so far, the limited amount of writing to NTFS that I do has been okay.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: