VectorLinux
April 15, 2014, 11:31:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lan driver for GeForce 6100/405 i can't install  (Read 1693 times)
seriivolk

« on: July 16, 2007, 05:26:44 am »

Lan driver for GeForce 6100/405 i can't install it. The distro is VL5.8-SOHO-final.iso. The driver i tried to install NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1.run. I install it in root mode=>init 2=>mc=> directory with install =>NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0310-pkg1.run , but always it failed to install. Can anybody help me to get Lan on VL. The mainboard is ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 05:34:59 am »

hi, could you paste the exact error message here, if any? what do you mean with "failed to install"? I never used those drivers, but if you post that info here I am sure someone could help you.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:55:52 am »

You'll probably need to have the kernel-src package installed for this driver to compile. It should be somewhere on the cd, but I'm not quite sure where. It should be called kernel-src-2.6.20.3-i586-1vl58.tgz or kernel-src-2.6.20.3-i586-1vl58.tlz

Once you've found it, install it. you can do this either from a terminal with
Code:
installpkg (correct name of package)
or by rightclicking it in konqueror, then choose "Actions -> Vector Linux Package -> Install

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 02:05:55 am »

You don't need to.
Just modprobe forcedeth or compile this driver in the kernel, if you know, how to do it, and your ethernet is ok.
Then you can use dhcpcd ro get an address from DHCP or ifconfig eth0 your.static.addr.ess, if you have static.

Yes, yes, if you wish to use nVidia hardware firewall, you need to use their proprietary driver. But in other case forcedeth is just fine. Tested on AsRock K8NF4G (6100/410).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:22:37 am by Vanger » Logged

Running silent, running deep
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: