VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 08:22:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation Problem  (Read 3339 times)
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« on: July 16, 2007, 11:35:58 pm »

my machine:
dell inspiron 1501 laptop
AMD turion x2 64-bit dual core 1800MHz per core
1gb RAM
ATI integrated Xpress 1250
120gb hdd
ATI azalia (as per VL/ALSA) on-board sound
etc....err...i mean more details as need arises.

the installer is misleading at some points and doesn't give a chance to go back one step in the post install configuration...here's an example and the consequences i had to face :-

finally after a long term testing of RC2 of 5.8 SOHO i downloaded n burnt a CD of the final version to install (yeah obviously :p ) n got all done with the package installation pretty soon n then came the post install configurations. i chose GRUB coz that was what i was using and i am used to the menu.lst
after this there is a screen which shows configuration for sound display timezone keyboard layout etc. it also comes with an option to restore (dunno what) from /home/backupsys. my existing installation has separate /home partition (which i cannot afford to lose) and it shows there is a .tar.bz2 file in there, i've never gone into that directory ever and there is nothing written in the installer to tell me what that .tar.bz2 archive contains. now by default this restore thing is not selected but perhaps i was thinkin it might restore some application settings...after all even if it was something done during my RC2 installation, its not possible to recollect since linux doesn't need to be reinstalled on weekly basis like windows to give me installation practice Cheesy
...so then what happens is there is are two options on the screen which shows the .tar.bz2 files. one was OK (which didn't seem OK for me) and other was one of Back/Cancel/Exit, now here i wanted to skip out of this step only and proceed to the next, but the installer exits out and gives a warning "you didn't configure this n that, i'm not sure if things'll work, restart n see" why these scare tactics?? ok so me took a deep breath n restarted, things were goin fine n the post installation configuration screen came back again, this time i skipped the restore thingy n configured the audio using ALSA configurator and then comes the main problem area display aka FGLRX (in my case). this did go smoothly on my RC2 installation but once i put in the driver, resolution and color depth the installer tries to blank the screen and do some xorg.conf editing or probing the display hardware to get a configuration. it does ask to sit tight or hold tight...but it was takin so long, like minutes passed n it was becoming uncomfortable. n then i tried to restart the computer and then disaster showed up...
the boot messages get stuck at /etc/inittab[0] to /etc/inittab[>=6] (written per line) with the phrase "missing action field" beside each line. will have to write down on pen n paper n type it here next time. e.g. (roughly ... from memory)
/etc/inittab[2]: missing action field
in this case, if anyone can post the inittab contents here or on a pastebin, it might help get things started.
but how do i deal with the display driver problem? Sad

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
Diabolic Preacher

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
http://pintooo15.livejournal.com
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:41:38 am »

Diabolic Preacher, please don't hijack posts.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 10:45:58 am »

i didn't do that on purpose, i thought the title of the thread meant that all problems were to be dumped there...

anyways, it'll be more useful to get some answers for my query than having intentions to hijack, so sorry for displeasing you.

5.8 version and the installer still isn't clear about what the first time user understands of the confusing process, heh

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 02:26:14 am »

i thought the title of the thread meant that all problems were to be dumped there...
no, that was just the title of Anathema's post Smiley.

it'll be more useful to get some answers for my query
Perhaps writing differently will help there. Try leaving out irrelevant stuff about installing, and stating your problems clearly. The whole post would be a lot more 'readable'. I didn't answer earlier because it was hard to read.

in this case, if anyone can post the inittab contents here or on a pastebin, it might help get things started.
Here's what inittab looks like on my box:

Code:
# /etc/inittab
# inittab This file describes how the INIT process should set up
# the system in a certain run-level.
#
# Originall by Patrick volkerdi (Slackware)
# Modified by Eko M. Budi for Vector Linux
# 0 = halt
# 1 = single user mode : minimum HW
# 2 = multiuser text desktop : network
# 3 = multiuser text server  : network, servers
# 4 = multiuser GUI desktop  : network, X-window
# 5 = multiuser GUI server   : network, servers, X-window
# 6 = reboot
#
# This is only for VL Dynamite
# 7/8 = autologin boot !     :  HACKING :P
#
# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6 !)
id:4:initdefault:

# Single User Mode (runs when system boots).
is:S:sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.S

# Multi User Mode
im:234578:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.M

# Script to run when switching runlevel
i0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.vlinit
i1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.vlinit
i2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.vlinit
i3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.vlinit
i4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.vlinit
i5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.vlinit
i6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.vlinit
i7:7:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.vlinit
i8:8:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.vlinit

# Local initialisation in the end of multiuser
il:234578:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.local

# Kill basic services
k0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.K   # Halt
k1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.K   # Single user
k6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.K   # Reboot

#ud::once:/sbin/update

# What to do at the "Three Finger Salute".
#ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/ctrlaltdel
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -a -t3 -r now

# What to do when power fails (shutdown to single user).
pf::powerfail:/sbin/shutdown -f -h +2 "THE POWER IS FAILING"

# If power is back before shutdown, cancel the running shutdown.
pg:0123456:powerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "THE POWER IS BACK"

# If power comes back in single user mode, return to multi user mode.
ps:S:powerokwait:/sbin/init 2

# NOTE NOTE NOTE adjust this to your getty or you will not be
# able to login !!
#
# Note: for 'agetty' you use linespeed, line.
# for 'getty_ps' you use line, linespeed and also use 'gettydefs'
# 0 is for User Mode Linux only
# 1 is used for autologin, so it is not activated on level 78
#0:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty0
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:234578:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:234578:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:234578:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:234578:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:234578:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

# Separate console for runlevel 1
# So when switching to runlevel 1 everyone will be loged out
c1:1:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
c2:1:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
c3:1:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
c4:1:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
c5:1:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
c6:1:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

# The getties in multi user mode on consoles an serial lines.
#
# Serial lines
#s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 19200 ttyS0 vt100
#s2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 ttyS1 vt102

# Dialup lines
#d1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -mt60 38400,19200,9600,2400,1200 ttyS0 vt100
#d2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -mt60 38400,19200,9600,2400,1200 ttyS1 vt100

## Launch X for run level 4/5
ix:45:respawn:/etc/rc.d/rc.X

# End of /etc/inittab

Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 02:57:34 am »

Perhaps writing differently will help there. Try leaving out irrelevant stuff about installing, and stating your problems clearly. The whole post would be a lot more 'readable'. I didn't answer earlier because it was hard to read.

how boring! :p
but on a serious note, if i was to know what part of the installation is the root cause of my system getting stuck at the error, why would i be posting here in the first place. i mean there can be people who can ask advanced queries but all of us need not be experts.
and if you didn't feel like answering spend time on other posts, you need not have to spend time demeaning my efforts to sign up on your stupid ass-titude forum to get a load of crap about how to form the query. if you were so impatient to make out the key points in the query, you could have read it some other day.

i ain't answering some exam here. i just need some help and i have a way of writing as naturally as i speak. if you can't read it all, let others try. you are no CEO here, that i've to explain my case in 5 lines...i mean why the hell should i care about you?

i am thinking you are just taking the honest criticism about the VL installer too personally and blaming me for all nonsense reasons.

p.s. i will learn to make my queries terse in the future but that's coz i would have learnt more things then, not because i'd follow your suggestion.

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 03:55:33 am »

Perhaps one should listen because The Headacher IS one of the moderators here. And he is correct. Reading your post leaves a lot to be desired as far as attempting to determine exactly what your issue is. Out of all you typed, only 5 lines dealt with your issue, and they were the last 5 lines. By the time most folks get half way through the post, they're going to ignore the rest and click on to the next post.

When asking for help, getting straight to the point about what is happening with your system will result in quicker responses and a system that gets fixed.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 06:36:19 am »

the problem in points...

1. it also comes with an option to restore (dunno what) from /home/backupsys. my existing installation has separate /home partition (which i cannot afford to lose) and it shows there is a .tar.bz2 file in there, i've never gone into that directory ever and there is nothing written in the installer to tell me what that .tar.bz2 archive contains. now by default this restore thing is not selected but perhaps i was thinkin it might restore some application settings...after all even if it was something done during my RC2

2.one was OK (which didn't seem OK for me) and other was one of Back/Cancel/Exit, now here i wanted to skip out of this step only and proceed to the next, but the installer exits out and gives a warning "you didn't configure this n that, i'm not sure if things'll work, restart n see" why these scare tactics??

3. the main problem area display aka FGLRX (in my case). this did go smoothly on my RC2 installation but once i put in the driver, resolution and color depth the installer tries to blank the screen and do some xorg.conf editing or probing the display hardware to get a configuration. it does ask to sit tight or hold tight...but it was takin so long, like minutes passed

4. the boot messages get stuck at /etc/inittab[0] to /etc/inittab[>=6] (written per line) with the phrase "missing action field" beside each line. will have to write down on pen n paper n type it here next time. e.g. (roughly ... from memory)
/etc/inittab[2]: missing action field

now is that better?

@retired1af: your weak observation power leaves a lot to be desired. its not just 5 lines.

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 08:10:52 am »

1. it also comes with an option to restore (dunno what) from /home/backupsys. my existing installation has separate /home partition (which i cannot afford to lose) ...

The VL "backupsys" script simply backs up the system config files from /etc and wraps them all into a .tar.bz2 file and places it in /home/backupsys - nothing else. It will not ruin a pre-existing /home partition. Restoring should only be done if you suspect you somehow buggered up your /etc files.

2.one was OK (which didn't seem OK for me) and other was one of Back/Cancel/Exit...

Due to the nature of the installer, the partitions have already been formatted and the process of install has begun and filesystems created and files copied even after the second install screen so there is really no easy method of getting back to square one. The Exit is really only for dire circumstances where you need to get back to a root prompt to see what went wrong and then restart the installation. It is not meant to be a scare tactic, perhaps just a little irony!

3. the main problem area display aka FGLRX (in my case). ....
Don't worry about it. Finish the install and then boot into "linux-tui" (text mode) and we can help you re-configure X if that need be done.

4. the boot messages get stuck at /etc/inittab[0] to /etc/inittab[>=6] (written per line) with the phrase "missing action field"
I have never seen such errors after an install, and I have installed VL on probably over 250 different machines by now. Somewhere along the line the install must have failed. I would suggest re-installing the system because inittab should not be broken like that. Also, I assume you checked the Install CD with md5sum???

Try the install again and we can help you out with any other problems....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:08:44 am »

you need not have to spend time demeaning my efforts to sign up on your stupid ass-titude forum to get a load of crap about how to form the query. if you were so impatient to make out the key points in the query, you could have read it some other day.
Diabolic Preacher, I did not mean to offend you, I was trying to help you get help. If the post is easy to read it's a lot easier to give help. If I have to read a post 3 times before I understand it I might decide to spend my time in another way. I imagine other people might do the same. You come here with a question, it is in your best interest to have it answered as soon as possible right?

i ain't answering some exam here. i just need some help and i have a way of writing as naturally as i speak. if you can't read it all, let others try. you are no CEO here, that i've to explain my case in 5 lines...i mean why the hell should i care about you?
You don't have to listen to me / care about me, it was just a suggestion.

i am thinking you are just taking the honest criticism about the VL installer too personally and blaming me for all nonsense reasons.
No I don't. The installer works fine for me, but I don't mind if somebody else thinks there's room for improvement.

So, basically what happened was:
1)  you installed the system but accidentally exited the installer before it was finished.
2)  you restarted the system and it continued with after install configuration.
3)  now it's borked because of trouble with inittab (very unusual!) and xorg.conf / ati driver trouble.
(please correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm pretty sure a successful complete install will cure the init trouble. As for the xorg.conf trouble, please post the relevant part of the xorg.conf file.

ps. You might want to read http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=56.0
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:46:09 am by The Headacher » Logged

Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 03:28:34 pm »

@lagagnon: i am sure you must know with experience of installing on 250 machines what step of installation i am talking about... i have not mentioned about getting back to square one but to the post-installation configuration menu. after all the packages are installed on the system, VL installer shows a ncurses menu to set language, keyboard layout, display, audio, etc. here we can select which components we want to configure and this happens before the first reboot. since the list is followed sequentially, all i hoped was that if i cancelled restoring from my existing backupsys archive...i meant to cancel that part of the configuration and move onto the next one. i meant gettin back to that menu n resuming configuration of components in the list following the 'restore from backupsys' menu item.

@headacher: Cheesy

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 03:29:08 pm »

status updates : -
the xorg configuration still blanks the screen forever and ctrl+alt+del doesn't work so i just let it try its best for a few more minutes and then powered off the system...and now : -
status updates and further queries

1. the machine boots fine
2. i re-created the normal user which i used to work as on my 5.8 SOHO RC2 installation
But
the existing home directory wasn't accessible to the (re)newly created user, even though its the user's default home directory.
i opened a konsole window and as root user checked that ls -l showed that the directory contents of the user's home directory is owned by some user called nx and the owning group was 1000 (group id?).
a lil query here..
what is the usual default group for a user created in VL? my experience in fedora/red hat is that a group with the same name as that of the user is created when a user account is created. i observed that VL (or more specifically kuser) sets 'users' as primary group. is this the right one?

i issued the following command at the bash prompt : -
Code:
#chown -R [i]username[/i]: *
this does not take care of hidden files so i repeat the command as : -
Code:
#chown -R [i]username[/i]: .*
this was needed as much of the user-specific configuration scripts were in . files (hidden files)
although now ls -l shows that the owner and group has been changed as required i found that only the top level directories are permissible to the newly created old user. although ls -l of a few directories buried deep within shows that the user is the owner of the directories, writing or accessing those directories return a "Permissions denied" error. what is to be done to give the user full control of his home directory?
btw...to reduce confusion think of user as abc and home directory as /home/abc
i think once the permissions open up then a lot of things should go on fine.

although the initial things got solved by themselves...they did so in a very haphazard way, not something i'd like to mark the thread as [SOLVED] for.

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 02:47:28 am »

Unless you're very attached to the new user, remove and recreate him with vasm:

(WARNING! This will probably remove this users home directory!)
VASM -> SUPER -> (enter root password) -> USER -> DEL
Then you should be able to recreate him with "ADD" and all permissions should be fine. I'm not sure why kuser does what it does, try using VL tools whenever possible. I removed kdeadmin from my SOHO installation as I never used anything in it. I didn't even know kuser existed Grin.

In case you want to "keep" the user and his homedirectory, you can try to "chgroup" it:
Code:
chgrp -R abc /home/abc
I'm not sure that will be enough though, but perhaps it's worth a shot.

As for the trouble with the graphics, /var/log/Xorg.0.log should have some clues. Please post the relevant part of /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or all of it, I don't really care Smiley), and the errors found in the log file (the whole thing is too long).

Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 03:35:40 am »

1. i do not want to lose 50gb of goodies in one shot from my home directory.
2. i had some custom permissions in some directories. like a dump of the RFC's was set to be read-only coz i didn't want any mistake of mine to mess them up.
3.if chown can set both the owner and the group, why is there a separate chgrp command?

will post the xorg.conf file later...not using that comp. now.

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: