VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 09:24:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless ipw3945, how to start at boot  (Read 2008 times)
apock627

« on: July 17, 2007, 01:44:38 am »

I've managed to get wireless working with the Intel ipw3945 under VL5.8, but need to figure out how to get it to start at boot time. THe only way i have managed to get it working up to now is
- using a load script included with the driver (which loads a daemon and modprobes the module)
- manually configuring it with iwconfig essid name_of_connection, iwconfig key etc
- route add default gw 192.168.0.1
- ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

I know there is another post around about udev which might explain why i have to reconfigure the network every time and I'll check that out later, but for now I would appreciate any advice on:

Is there a "correct" VL way to load the module? Should I have a separate script e.g. rc.wireless, and how would it go, and what other script would call it?
What about starting the daemon - where should I put it?

I apologise but 2 things i understand even less than most others are udev and rc scripts.

Also, to get this driver working you have to put the firmware file somewhere, which is supposedly the FIRMWARE_DIR specified in /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent. VL5.8 doesn't have this file - is this something to do with vl-hot?

I actually did what the driver recommends which is to install the hotplug scripts (which are a few years old). When i did the FIRMWARE_DIR specified in /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent is /usr/lib/firmware/hotplug or something. Anyway it doesn't work, and just putting the microcode file in /lib/firmware does make it work. FOr what it's worth, was there something different I should have done here? Is this likely to have broken anything?

Thanks a lot
apock627

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:02:44 pm »

Now looks like module is getting loaded. But eth1 does not exist until the daemon is started, which may be why it is not getting set up. I;m just not sure where/how to start the daemon in the scripts.

Anyhow I'm moving this to networking which seems more suitable now.
themes

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 09:13:36 am »

My problem is same, but also my problem is that VL loses/brakes something so bad that i can't get wireless to connect again. I have VL-SOHO installed from live-dvd. After new installation it works fine 10-15 hours and then can't get it work again. I node that everytime from booting live-dvd it works just great!

Problem is that, i can't know where to try figure out what is wrong. Everything goes fine until i command: dhcpcd eth1. It doesn't show any kind of error, it just doesn't connect.
apock627

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 03:56:50 pm »

Hard to see how a problem with the setup could cause a problem after 10-15 hours. I would guess that the problem there is with your ISP or maybe the router itself. I used to have to turn the power to the router off for a few seconds and let it re-connect, every now and then, under either Windows or linux.

You might want to check if all the right LEDs are lit on your router when that happens. Mine has LEDs for power, wlan, adsl and ppp when it is working. It would also be useful to know if you can ping your router.

Mine is working fine now, see my question http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3700.0
although that doesn't include dhcp.

You will get clues from:
can you ping an outside address, e.g. your dns server?
can you ping the router as above?
what is the output of
# route -n
what is the output of iwconfig?

Probably more of a networking question
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: